cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Check out of a library item does not trigger an OnChange workflow?

In response to a question from a colleague i've just run a couple of tests on our live Nintex site, and it appears that if a user changes the checkout state of a file in a document library, this does NOT trigger an "On Change" workflow to run?

This is pretty surprising, as-

1. Checking something in or out seems like a significant change to me, plus
  2. The value of the "checked out to" field is changing, and field modifications are the normal trigger for a library OnChange event.

The one thing i'm doubtful of is we're (again) having trouble with workflows not starting reliably on our site, sop maybe i'm seeing a glitch, not normal behaviour.

Note: Yes I am aware of the "wait for checkout status to change" action, but that presupposes a workflow is already running on the item. I was hoping to start a small admin workflow just for the case of the checkout status changing.

If someone can confirm they have seen the same behaviour (or not), that would be helpful.

Thanks

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Check out of a library item does not trigger an OnChange workflow?

I bounced (stopped and restarted) the Nintex WF features on this site collection and the On Change trigger started behaving the way I would have expected, i.e. changes to the checked out state do trigger the On Change workflow.

So, false alarm. Just another example of the "workflows failing to start" performance problem (that I would link to if I could work out how to persuade this forum to give me a simple link URL to a forum thread these days...)

cassymfreeman
Nintex Newbie

Glad you found a solution, please mark your answer as correct.

‌ I am also finding the link feature quite frustrating on this newer look...

Not applicable

I can't find the option to "mark as answer". Maybe I can't do that for my own postings?

Yes the link thing is a pain isn't it? In the old forum almost everything was normal HTML links, so sending a link to (say) a forum posting or blog post was easy.

In this new UI, everything is done (I suspect) with Javascript OnClick handlers and there isn't a link in sight. Also the main window seems to sit at a fixed URL half the time, and I presume uses POST parameters to work out which forum thread you are working on. This makes it something of an exercise in frustration working out how to do something as simple post a link to another thread on the same forum.

I have already emailed Frank Field‌ about a site certificate error making the forums hard to access in Firefox, looks like changes are being made without the user implications always being considered.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

If I didn't reply to that thread or email, I apologize, ‌!  

I don't know if I mention it enough, and there's no formal thread, but my experience (and that of my predecessor) is that Jive works best in Chrome.

Posting a link remains the same as it always has:  use @-mention.  Type "@" followed by the name of a person or thread and options start to appear.  Or copy the URL of a link and past it into a thread.  Maybe it's just the way I learned, but I haven't found any changes to that.  It's very possible I don't do it the way technologically-inclined people do and haven't experienced hiccups.

The UI has certainly changed as of 9/1, but as far as I know, the mechanics that make it work (which, I'll confess I am less concerned about than whether or not it has bugs when new features of the platform become available) are all supposed to be available.  In other words, I knew it would be different looking, but I never enable features that deliberately break functionality.

Please continue to raise issues that arise. If something is broken (such as the recent lack of filtering content by age), I will fix it myself if I'm able, or get a ticket going with our platform provider to get it taken care of.

Hope that helps!