cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Best Practice to make the list items non editable when the manager approves the workflow

Jump to solution

Hey Guys,

What is the best and easy way to handle this kind of scenario:

I have a New employee onboard workflow. This workflow gets triggered when we create an item in the list. Now I wants once all the departments approve the workflow then this item should not be allowed to edit anymore.

Looks like this is common scenario so wanted to check what practice you guys follow.

Thanks in Advance!

Have a nice weekend

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mlauer
Nintex Newbie

Re: Best Practice to make the list items non editable when the manager approves the workflow

Jump to solution

I use site workflows. Data for list item is entered in start form. Create Item/update item actions are placed in action sets with 'Run as worklfow owner checked'. That way only workflow owner needs update permissions on item list. Stakeholder need no permissions to item list but for tasklist.

burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Re: Best Practice to make the list items non editable when the manager approves the workflow

Jump to solution

You can create a workflow that starts with setting permissions for only approvers to edit. Once the workflow has been approved, use the set permissions action again and make it read only or whichever permission you need.

Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Hey Prashant,

One way we accomplished a similar requirement was using two lists.

• List 1 - All appropriate users have the ability to create/edit items in this list.
  • Workflow - starts on items created in List 1. Approvals begin. Once completed the item is copied/created into List 2. Then deleted from List 1
  • List 2 - Specific people can edit, nearly no one else can edit / create items, but ALL can read.
  • Other workflows can start now if necessary on List 2 items.

View solution in original post

eiben
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I would slightly modify this setup, because once you delete the item from list 1 you will loose the history of the first workflow.

In the past I modified the permissions on the items in this list to restrict access to a very limited number of people and then use Information-Rights-Policies to delete items that have not been edited in 10 days (or so).

This way you'll be able to look at the workflow history - which might come in handy if you have to "debug" the workflow.

soni_tumu
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hello Prashant,

I'm considering New employee onboard workflow as a List workflow. You can publish another workflow on the same list, in this check for all department approvals: if this condition is satisfied we have a Nintex action to change the permissions on the current item called Set item permissions where you can provide only read permission to all except admins or etc according to your requirement.