cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Assigning tasks in a workflow

When building a workflow there may be a task that could be assigned to various different people. How do you build the workflow with this optionality?

Task Assigned  --> Accepted ---> Assigned to next stage  (how is this done as it could be a variety of people)

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Assigning tasks in a workflow

Hi David,

It depends on your scenario.

What should happen when one person Approves it.

- Continue the workflow and cancelk the other tasks

- Wait that other tasks are Approved

Are you using O365 or on Premise?

If it is on Premise, this article from Chris Ben will help you Do you really know the Flexi task?

Regards

Christophe

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

The way I'd normally do this is to:

1. Create a list (or lists) that define who should be assigned tasks. This can include metadata that would allow you to filter the list according to the scenario, or order the assignees.
  2. Query the list in the workflow, saving the results in a collection variable.
  3. Have a For Each loop for each item in the collection.
  4. Send a task to the current person in the collection and wait for his/her response.
  5. If approved, go to the next person in the collection. If rejected, decide how you want to handle it. You can assign a Yes/No variable to exit a loop early, if that helps

Does that suit your scenario? If not, please give more details about what you need.

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Thanks I'll look into this

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Thanks I'll look into this

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Capture.PNG

sorry as a new user, this is what im looking to do...

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi David,

From what I understand, it seems that you need a basic sequential workflow with Assign to-do Task or Assign Flexi Task.

Assign a Task to L1 with basic Approved/Rejected Task outcome

If Approved, Assign a Task to L2 with a Complete Task outcome (You need to create a new Content Type with a specific new Task Outcome field)

If Completed, Assign a Task to L1 with a Complete Task outcome (It can be the same as above)

If Completed, Assign a Task to L3 with basic Approved/Rejected Task outcome

Hope thsi helps,

Best regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply