Nates_Mom
Apprentice

User productivity (removing updates made by workflow)

Hi all,

I have been tasked with creating multiple workflows on lists to guage user productivity. I have created a very simple workflow that runs perfectly on several lists: 

When an item is modified, grab list name, user name, date and time, etc and create a new entry on a "productivity list."

The only issue is that some lists have workflows that update items that are triggered by a user making a modification. This in turn creates multiple entries for the user as they are the initiator of the triggered workflow. 

Is there a way to separate the items updated by the workflow due to the user initiating the workflow from the genuine user updates? 

I've considered adding an "updated by workflow" column to each lost and having each workflow update THAT column with "yes" after making it's updates and having the productivity workflow ignore those with "yes" in the column. However, I've found  that the user will update an item again and it obviously won't be counted now that the workflow has "yes" in the column. Setting it back to "no" also triggers a "false" entry.

I hope that makes sense. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kunalpatel
Collaborator

Re: User productivity (removing updates made by workflow)

@Nates_Mom .....why not simply use the workflow status column? Usually the column name is same as name of the workflow. Query only those items or put a condition if the status of the workflow is not "In Progress" then get me those items.

0 Kudos
Nates_Mom
Apprentice

@kunalpatel wrote:

@Nates_Mom .....why not simply use the workflow status column? Usually the column name is same as name of the workflow. Query only those items or put a condition if the status of the workflow is not "In Progress" then get me those items.

It's a list workflow that triggers each time that item is modified. Realistically if the modification is made by a workflow, when the workflow that runs on the item being modified does run...the workflow that triggered it will no longer be "in progress."

0 Kudos
kunalpatel
Collaborator

@Nates_Mom ....well in that case what if you check the current status on each and every workflow. What I mean is let's say you have total 4 workflows.

Now the 4th workflow will only check the status of remaining 3 workflows and if none of them are in progress then it will copy that item into your productivity list. 4th workflow will never update anything.

And if you want to update anything then, you can have a status column called "Productivity Captured" (before ending the workflow you can update the item with 4th workflow) and your 4th workflow will trigger conditionally when an item is modified and status is not "Productivty Captured".

0 Kudos