Not applicable

Saving an edited version of an item as a new item in custom library

I have an existing library that contains records where from time to time may be accessed through an edit function.  Once back onto the form, certain data in some of the fields may be changed.   Is there a way to save this edited record as a new entry into the custom library instead of overriding the existing record?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
xMikeX
Scholar

Re: Saving an edited version of an item as a new item in custom library

Hello,

The answer is yes, but there are many ways to go about it.   Are you talking about a document in a library? or an Item on a custom List?   Either way, you can make a "copy" via a workflow and place it into another list or library.    Alternatively, Sharepoint has a feature called "Versioning" which I find to be very useful in tracking down changes, because it shows you who made changes and to what they made changes to.  You can find versioning under "List settings" or "Library Settings" respectively.

Thanks,

Mike

Not applicable

Thank you for the response Mike.  The workflow suggestion is a great one and although I'm sure it will do the job but I was hoping for a way around it.  The versioning suggestion is also a good one and it does retain the original item.  If somehow I can make previous versions show in the custom library since there may be a time that a user will want to see all of the items entered into the library without having to go into the version history to pull them up.

0 Kudos
xMikeX
Scholar

No problem Michael!  Also just as a side note, you could always use a small workflow to copy the item itself to the same list that it currently sits on.  This would maintain all the versions of items within the same list.   You could have the workflow run on edit.  You might end up with quite a few copies of an item, but if that's ok and that's what you want then you could easily do this.  

Thanks,

Mike

burkslm
Novice

Versioning is the first thing I was thinking of. I think that is the best option. To me, its best to use the out of the box solutions.

Not applicable

Thank you both for great suggestions.  I  know a workflow offers the best and smoothest option; however, with limited access to create workflows I'm left with a work-around.  I have turned on versioning and while it does perform the saving of an edited version as a new record, I'm left with another obstacle and that is to have all versions be displayed in a list view.  I tried versions grouping display but the previous versions still not visible under "version 1" group and etc.

In the end, I guess a workflow is the only way to go if I'm going to need it to work how it should.

0 Kudos
xMikeX
Scholar

Hi Michael I found the following to be pretty interesting:  Stefan Stanev's SharePoint blog: How to display all versions in a SharePoint list view page 

If you read through the main content you'll see it applies to "Lists" and not Documents but if you read the comments following the author offers another link that deals with how he handles the same with Documents.  Unfortunately for Libs it gets a bit  more  complex but seems doable with enough effort.

This is all based off versioning.

Thanks!