Godders199
Nintex Newbie

Copy items in list to archive then delete from original list

Spoiler

Hello, new to sharepoints and Nintex. 

I am trying to create an archive for a list and then set up a workflow to move items from list to archive.

i have created an additional column on the list, which has 2 options active or archive.  Then I created this list as a template to create my archive.

moving on to Nintex workflow, I get stuck, mainly because all the examples I find seem so complicated for an easy task.

is someone able to confirm effectively all I need to do is add a copy item task, with the criteria of if column equal archive, copy to archive, and then a delete task to delete that item?

Based on all the examples I find, it just appears to simple that I must be missing something.

Any help or links to a simple example of this task would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kunalpatel
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Copy items in list to archive then delete from original list

@Godders199 ....Since your item won't be in archive criteria when created, I'll trigger the workflow conditionally when modified and my condition will be if criteria is archive. Then using create item action, I'll create the item in archive list, put commit pending changes and delete the item on which the workflow is running.

0 Kudos
Godders199
Nintex Newbie

Thanks,  I just need to try and find so examples of what I am trying to do. I expect what you are saying makes sense, but looking at the Nintex workflow I have no idea how to do anything you have said.

i can write vba all day long and was told this was simple, but there seems to be a total lack of online resources to help the beginner .

0 Kudos
kunalpatel
Automation Master
Automation Master

@Godders199 ....I don't know if your IT allows you to create Nintex workflows or not, but if you can, then yes, it's simple to use. On left side you will see different actions or you can click on pearl and see different categories and each one will have different actions. 

The one thing I like about Nintex is each action has "Help" button which will show only information related to that item instead of opening the complete help articles. 

0 Kudos
Godders199
Nintex Newbie

Hi yes, we have to use Nintex workflows, I looked at the screens for hours before my original post. Which lead me to believe that as I had added active or archive to all items, I could just use the copy tasks and then delete tasks. But you said no do something else.

There are 1000's of items on this list so I just don't want to lose all the data.

it does not help that all our internal help guides are links to Nintex, but our IT security prevents me from creating an account to view them.

do you know where a load of simple examples are ? . That's how I learnt vba .

0 Kudos
kunalpatel
Automation Master
Automation Master

@Godders199 ....You don't need seperate a/c to view the help file from action. For e.g. I've added a flexi task in my workflow and I opened it to configure, as you can see, in the ribbon there is a Help link....if you click on it, it will show you how to configure your flexi task action. In the same way, each action has the same option.

SC23.jpg

I never said to do something else (I'm little confused from your last post !!!), only told you the steps you needed to copy your items to your archive list. By the way, may I know what kind of list is this?

0 Kudos