Not applicable

Log workflow history to external source

Jump to solution

Is it possible to automatically log workflows history to the external source? Or at least automatically export the workflows history. I am asking because we need to store the workflow history for auditing.

Thank you!

5 Replies
fhunth
Workflow Veteran

Re: Log workflow history to external source

Jump to solution

Why don't you share the information to auditors?

Create a new sharepoint group named "Auditors" and give Read permission to the list https://yoursite.sharepoint.com/subsite/Lists/Workflow%20History/AllItems.aspx

andrewg
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

If you want to keep it longer term there are a few ways to do this. Nintex will keep copies in its database longer than SharePoint's 60 day rule. But the best practice to keep history for auditing long term would be to create a unique list not related to the workflow so as not to be accidentally manipulated. But the point would be to keep key points/data from the workflow and not all possible data like statistics. But use the create item action for this list and keep the workflow name, related item url, and other data points like, UserA approved TaskB on this date. And so forth. The amount of data kept in the actual workflow history may not be pertinent for long term auditing. This will also help in keeping the list item count down for history. You can create a list per unique workflow/list if it helps making it easy to manage and review.

Let me know if you have any questions on this approach.

View solution in original post

zeptrey
Design Dabbler

Jump to solution

I know this is an old thread, but with the new Document Generation capabilities couldn't you export the History to a PDF and then to another document library?  Just curious because I am running into some of the same stuff...

TomaszPoszytek
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

I'd try to create some sort of a site workflow which would query the history list and push the logs to a dedicated location. If on SharePoint Online as well, then you should use the "office 365 create list item or document set" action. If elswehere then... well, this system should have some sort of a web service that you would be able to call from the workflow and pass data via it.

Regards,

Tomasz

kkgan
Cloud Wanderer

Jump to solution

Other than the automated workflow history logs, i find it useful to log additional details or only details i want to the workflow history. Why don't you use one of the connectors to create record in external sources such as salesforce, etc?