List attachments collected on a start event form onto a Approval Task form

• 4 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Is there a way to list the attachments collected on a start event form onto an approval task form? I know I can attach the files in the task notification email (and any notification) that goes out.  However, that feels disjointed to me.  I have several sections in the starting form that require attached documentation.  To have that all come to the approver in one clump of attachments feel clunky. If anyone has done something like this, please let me know.  Thank you.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@brianknight 

Give this how-to article a look and let me know if it covers what you're looking to do:

Display Item Attachments on Task Forms 

The content was created to help users upgrading from Nintex for Office 365 to Nintex Workflow Cloud, but may contain enough of the Nintex Workflow Cloud pieces needed to meet your needs.

-Sam

Userlevel 2
Badge +9
Thank you. I’ll take a look. The issue though is the starting form. In the video example the starting form is coming from SharePoint online where my starting form is coming from Workflow Cloud. I figure I need to do some sort of loop to pull in each attachment but I can’t seem to get those variables to show up as options in the task form. I did find another post that mentions seeing both the original form and the task on the workflow cloud MyNintex page. You can then download the attachment and review it at that point. Not perfect but better than sending them in a bulk within an email.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@brianknight - I'll take a look on my end and see what I can come up with on my tenant.  I'll let you know what I find, but it may not be until Monday (07FEB22).

-Sam

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@brianknight - I've reached out to the Nintex Workflow Cloud team to see what options are available to accomplish this.  Once I hear back, I'll update this post.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

You have to do a variable for count of attachments in the start form.

1. Create a variable in start form for count the file upload control

2. Add a run if action to workflow to run if variable in step 1 is greater than 0

3. Add a loop within the run if action from step 2.

4. Loop through the attachments on start event form (you will pick file as the type)

5. Add Collection of files to email

You can also take it a step further and add attachment to an item in loop to add each file to your list item if there is a list item applicable you want the files added to as attachments.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Thank you for the reply and associated screenshots. The issue is showing the attached items in an approval task in WFC. Basically, I have to email the attached documents to the parties that will be reviewing/approving the task. I would have prefered these attachments appear in the task form so the reviewer can look at them from the context of the original form. Makes it a bit easier to approve/deny the request. Also, we've had a few situations where the size of attachments has been too large and caused the email to fail. Yes, we can limit the size of the attachments and we do. However, people have still caused situations that cause the email to fail.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Oh. Totally misunderstood. I know how to make it happen from attachments on a list item in sharepoint online. By any chance are you creating a list item to use as a data storage for the info you collect on the form?

If so i can send instructions. You'd create a list item and then add attachments to it... then pull them back and lip through a variable to create an attachment string.

The files can be displayed in a label on task form then as a list basically but they'd be hyperlinked vs them going in a file upload control on the task form.
Userlevel 2
Badge +9

I think if we can figure out a way to list these attachments on the task form the better. As long as they can download the item, I think this will work. We do not have a Sharepoint Online environment only on prem. So if this requires Sharepoint Online, unfortunately it will not work.