cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Worflow beginners dilemma

I am new to the workflow process and looking for some pointers or be pointed in the right direction, I have a workFlow but it seems messy. I am used to workflows in Visio where if No then revert back to previous state. I do not seem to be able to do that with what I have. I use the Flexi Task and I want if reject to go back and reassign or continue workflow when accepted. Any thoughts?

17 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Worflow beginners dilemma

Hi Pete and welcome!

sounds like you need a state machine to revisit the process more than once. State machine defines the entry points, and the different states, but allows for different paths to be taken based on decisions.

‌ is an example of a state machine used to allow rejection and re-submission.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I looked at the example you had. Is there another example on this?

I presume I will put the "State Machine" prior to Flexi Task. Am I correct in stating I would need other "state Machine" actions under the rejected of flexi task and under accepted?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

So your flexi task would live under one of the states. And under reject and approve you would use a "change state" action to move to the required state (or jump out of the state machine).

let me have a quick search of the community to find some other examples - I am not on my machine at the moment so bear with me. 

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Cassy,

Wanted to reply before I went home. I GREATLY appreciate this. The "State Machine by Example" defined it better for me. Still need to look at the "art of...", but still what I needed, a point in the right direction(s).

I will be testing my workflow out tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hello ‌ - 

Apologies for the delay, its has been a hectic day! It looks like ‌ set you on the right path with the State Machine action, which is what you would want to use to achieve what you want to do.

State machines are great if you want to have the ability to jump back or ahead to a specific branch of logic (state) within a workflow based on some predefined logic. So in your scenario, anytime a task has been rejected, you want the task to be reassigned and the workflow to continue. This can easily be done with a state machine and when a task is rejected, simply use a change state action to move to the same state.

The tricky part is reassignment. If you want the task to be assigned to a different user and not simply reissued, you will need to add that logic into the rejected branch of the task before changing states. You can do this with a workflow variable, but again, will need to do some setup work.

Let me know if you need help or an example of this and I can put something together for a walkthrough.

Also, it looks like you are using Nintex Workflow 2010, is that correct? I want to make sure I do not build this in something different and confuse you in the end!

Hope this helps!

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

You are most welcome.  The blog post you like "State Machine by Example" was written by ‌ so you are in super safe hands there.  Please keep us posted how you are getting on and if you need any help with this (or anything else further down the line).

As you say you are new, feel free to check this document out‌

Accept as Solution Reply