Question

Sharepoint item submission get only updated columns after start event

• 29 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Nintex Workflow Cloud, when an item has been submitted, there is the 'Start Event' variable. Is there a way to get only the items that have been added or modified after the 'Start Event'? Would like to add only those items to a log file at the end of the workflow prior to completion so we can view only what was changed.  I have tried using the "Query a list", but only getting 'True' or 'False' and would like to get the actual column name with the changed or added item, if that is possible.

Sorry if this sounds confusing. 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @millerlo 

Is this your scenario?
(1) Start Form is Nintex Form for 0365. Click SUBMIT, a new item is created on SPO. New item triggers NAC
or (2) Start Form is NAC Form. Click SUBMIT, immediately triggers new NAC workflow instance.

If the changes are strictly coming from NAC, you could create a log variable and keep track by appending new changes to the variable. Use the Create a text string action. Keep appending new records to the variable. 

Date  | Time    | Action | Column | Value
29-Apr| 10:01am | New | Outcome| Approved
29-Apr| 10:30am | New | Outcome| Rejected

For better formatting control, suggest using HTML Tables tags.
You may also consider using some of the Dynamic Table or Grid plug-ins from the Nintex Gallery.

Here is a sample. Check out this article

If what you are looking for is get the SPO List Item version history (because admins and power users can also change the value of SPO List items and its column), This is more cumbersome as you need to utilize the SPO REST Service. Additionally SPO keeps the last 50 version for each List Item by default. If there are 100 changes, the first 50 version are discarded and only the last 50 version is kept

You can access the SPO REST API
/_api/web/lists/getByTitle('ListName')/items('ID')/Versions

@millerlo, did this manage to answer your question?

Badge +1

Not sure how to word this without sounding dumb, obviously, I am not real technical...

We have the Nintex form to get submitted and it writes to the corresponding sharepoint list. The new event kicks off the workflow. So at that point we have the 'Start Event' items, of course. As we do things throughout the course of the workflow running, we may have columns with new or modify information. A variable that could be appended to post start event, would be really great. That is what I would like, but haven't had any luck.  I could probably, in the logs, list every single column whether or not it has anything, but I would rather get only the new or modified information, if possible.

Also, I did look at the 'Create a text string' from your suggestion.  Would I still have to list all columns?  I guess I don't understand, sorry.

This is wordy and I apologize.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

​​​​​​Hi @millerlo 

You can retrieve the Version history to review the list of changes to a List Item. 

This is easily implemented manually