adam_c_zern
Canvas Initiate

Conditional workflow notifications to a supervisor from a discussion board

Hello All,

I'm attempting to create a workflow notification on a discussion board, and it has several conditions I want to try and meet. So here we go . . .

1. I would like the supervisor of the poster to receive a notification when their direct report posts something to a discussion board (I know this notification is possible because 'Manager' is an option in the Lookup list)
  2. I do not want the supervisor to receive additional notifications when their direct report posts a reply to an existing reply; in other words, when someone responds to the original db question, I'd like the supervisor to receive a notification of that; however, if their direct report replies to someone else's answer to the original question, I do not want them to receive a notifcation

Looking at other posts and responses online, I know there is a difference between Content Types - Discussion and Message. But it looks like to me that all replies, whether they're to the original question (Discussion) or others' replies (Messages), are classified as Messages. Do I understand that correctly? Any way to create conditions around that?

For context's sake, we have a introductory discussion board, and I want new hires' supervisors to be notified when their new team member posts their introduction. I do not want them to be overloaded with notifications if their new hire starts replying to others' posts.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SimonMuntz
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Conditional workflow notifications to a supervisor from a discussion board

Hi,

From what I am reading it sounds like you only want Managers to receive emails on new Discussions and not on replies, have I got that right?  If so you just have to make the workflow run on new discussions and make sure it doesnt run on new replies.

I went down the path of Content Types as you suggested and found it actually worked.

Using a conditional start as pictured made the workflow only run on new Discussions and not when they were replied to.

ConditionalStart.png

0 Kudos
adam_c_zern
Canvas Initiate

Re: Conditional workflow notifications to a supervisor from a discussion board

Hi there @SimonMuntz 

So I want the supervisor to receive the first reply to a discussion, meaning to the main discussion question, but I don't want them to receive notifications on replies to other replies (I know that's probably confusing). I have a discusson board list (seen below), but more than likely will only have the one discussion on it ("It's so nice to meet you!"). Therefore, notifying a supervisor of a new discussion is pretty pointless, since it probably won't be added on this list.

Is there a way to tell the difference between a "primary" reply to the main discussion board question and the "secondary" replies to what others have written?

Discussion Board.png

0 Kudos