I'm having this same issue - and also have other conditional-run-on-change workflows that are working...
also - it runs as expected when started manually so the issue appears to be with the conditionals
Yes. It did work once or twice but I’ve made MANY changes since then so going back would be near impossible. I did create another identical workflow and that one has the same issue?!
Pretty coincidental that we run into the same issue within a day of each other…weird
(and I’m glad to know that I’m not crazy either!)
Can you please create a new test list and try this same operation? In my experience I have seen conditional workflows not fire on modification due to bad columns in the list. The resulting solution was to export the list and reimport the list to "recreate" the list.
Let me know what you find when trying this.
That’s a little problematic as the list has a sub-list and has proven to be difficult (if not impossible) to export. However, I do have another conditional start-on-change workflow on this same list that is working…or perhaps that’s the problem? As I said, it did work as designed initially.
Can I ask if when the site workflow does the update you are updating more than one of the columns that would conditionally start a workflow? In a recent implementation I found that when this was the case, only ONE of the more than one workflows you would expect to start actually did...we had an open support ticket re this behaviour.
So to be clear...if have workflow 1 which conditionally starts on update of the STATUS column. And workflow 2 which conditionally starts on update of the e.g. DOCUMENT OWNER. If both of these columns are updated by the site workflow, only workflow 1 starts. That is the behaviour we observed and could reliably reproduce.
I had an issue with this also. I had several (I think at this point I was around 15 workflows, about 7 of which started conditionally on modification). Initially, the other workflows that started conditionally worked, but then eventually they stopped as well.
What I ended up having to do is I created ONE workflow that runs on every modification, and the only thing in this workflow is the run-if logic to therefore start the other workflows that initially were starting on modification.
IF you do this, however, be very careful not to have any fields updated in this workflow, because if anything changes, the workflow will try to start again and error out since it is already running.
This solved my problem and it has been working perfectly ever since. I think there is a limit (7 is what I had), but it isn't widely advertised. It is probably not a Nintex limit, but a SharePoint limit based upon the resources it takes for SharePoint to look through all the conditional starts at the same time every time an item is modified--it is likely the same as having every one of those workflows actually starting on modification. I have a separate history list for that single workflow that runs every time since it will grow fast and is only "junk".