cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can I save Task attachments to the parent List item in O365?

Good afternoon, Nintex Community! Coming to you again for some tips or guidance. I'm looking to save/move/copy attachments from a Task Item to a List Item--and a few other situations.

Use case examples:

1. A user has a task and the opportunity to attach files. I don't want him or her to attach the file(s) to the Task Item--the file(s) will never be found again. What are my options on the O365 platform to have these saved/moved/copied to the parent List Item where they can be viewed at a later date?
  2. How about if I create a copy of a List Item with attachments in a different list? Any way to move the attachments along with the simple field values?
  3. What if I simply want to extract an attachment from a List Item and move it to a File Library?

The attachment feature is so great, but it seems on O365 that it serves a very narrow use case. I hope I'm mistaken and some of you have found solutions to these types of challenges!

4 Replies
Not applicable

Re: How can I save Task attachments to the parent List item in O365?

Eric Harris​ - not to put you on the spot, but do you have any insights on working with attachments in O365? I'm working on three different workflow projects that have various attachments needs, and I'm struggling to find good solutions. I've outlined my three use cases above, but really I've found nothing that helps me do anything with an attachment once a user has uploaded the file.

Accept as Solution Reply
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Nathan, this may take a little troubleshooting to figure out your best use case and experience.

Have you thought about using the List item, and when it comes to the attachment they are in fact editing the list item itself and not an additional task item?  What I mean is that instead of routing the item through an assigned task action, I would build out a task process using status on the item itself and the user would have a view specific for them on the form that would  show them the fields they could edit and the attachments would be there.  This view would be driven by the "edit" parameter in Nintex Forms and a status I would have set via a workflow onto a list column.  It works really well, but you will have to think through the experience to ensure the correct fields are enabled and visible at the right time.

I have not attempted these, but I trust the authors and this combined with our knowledge may point to a solution regarding attachments:

Turning attachments into working, controlled documents

collect task attachments in list item and show all attachments in next task

Lets see where this leads and continue from there.  Attachments are treated so interestingly in O365, but everything is doable and I welcome to challenge :-)

Eric

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Eric Harris​--Using the original List Item form instead of the Task Item form is an idea I've heard before--most recently at InspireX during TekDog's pre-conference session. Unfortunately, I've never seen this idea through to completion. Does it still use the Assign a Task and Start a Task Process? Or is it driven by changing a status in a specific field and building workflows to execute notifications and such when the field is changed to a new status? Do you have an example somewhere I can reference?

Thanks for pointing me to the example blog posts. Unfortunately, they're both written using SharePoint on-prem. The first article uses the Copy to Sharepoint action, and the second utilizes the Get List Item Attachment in Base64 Custom Action. Both are not available on O365.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hello Nathan,

Have you found a solution for this yet? Or a workaround? It would be great if you could share your experience.

Did you try that idea with using the List item form?

Thank you,

Dimiter

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply