ProMapp Looping In Process Due to Decisions

• 13 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +8

I understand the ProMapp is to help make Process more simplify but not all business processes are in a linear fashion.  With that being said, has anyone came up with a good solutions to portray business processes that would go back to a previous step or steps further back in the process based on an decision or if the process goes to another process that then needs to come back into the process that started it at a particular point.  I understand yes you can make notes in the particular activity in the process to be if this happens go back and refer to activity 2.0, but if someone is looking at the process at a high level (map) they would not know this.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

We add activity boxes to show on the map, which direct the user back to a previous activity . This is not perfect but it is a reasonable workaround and stands out more than the notes field.  See attached example. 

I have seen those loops usually the result of needing to fix the "item" - and those steps have slight variations (like escalating priority for example).  You could create a process map of the first several steps, then add a variant (for how those steps are different) and insert the variation as a conditional or parallel step.  I just wish we could show the "short" title for the variants.  

https://us.promapp.com/ucsd/Process/Minimode/Permalink/B5y8k219TYRvGurvOv8pJO

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

For this part that you mention in your post:

• or if the process goes to another process that then needs to come back into the process that started it at a particular point.  

this seems to be exactly what the Conditional process link is for. When you add a conditional process link it will have a two way arrow indicating that the process is done (when the condition applies) and then the person returns back into the original process and continues on.