How to convert a string from Upper to Lowercase using Regular Expression in Nintex O365

• 19 February 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

Folks,

Since inline functions is not available in Office 365 Nintex App or Nintex Workflow Cloud (!!!!) am pulling my hair out trying to understand how to convert any string from Uppercase to Lowercase, and then remove a symbol like a full stop (.) in a Nintex O365 workflow.

If this was on-prem Nintex, I would be able to use the inline function fn-ToLower...

Anyway. am guessing that I would have to use Regular Expression to at the very least carry out the conversion. I've tried using regex with no success. Can someone please explain the configuration of Regular Expression when converting a string from Uppercase to Lowercase?

Example is this:

THIS IS A TEST STRING 1.2.3.4 In Mostly UpperCASE

to this:

thisisateststring1234inmostlyuppercase

Thanks

G

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I'm not sure what your logical scenario is, however, I'm most often converting to all lowercase for the purpose of string comparison.

There is no built-in function, however, short of calling a web service you can use one the operators "equals (ignoring case)" or "contains (ignoring case)" in both "Run If" and "Conditional Branch" Workflow actions.

It also looks like you want to remove the spaces and periods. Two invocations of "Replace Substring in String" will take care those scenarios.

If you truly need to convert the data for storage then either use the "Replace Substring in String" 26 times (one for each letter)
OR
define a SharePoint calculated column whose formula is =lower([originalcolumn])
When data is stored/updated in the "originalcolumn" the SharePoint formula is triggered automatically. By the time the workflow references the calculated column the lowercase result will already be there!

If this solves your challenge then please mark this as a solution.