Skip to main content

So according tot he Support Matrix. 

https://help.k2.com/blackpearl/support-matrix

K2 Blackpearl for 4.6.11 will no longer be supported after September 2017.

I also learn there is a chance to upgrade SQL from 2014 to 2016. 

Question is ... can I create a New Environment for DEV in 4.7 and perform a Package & Deployment from 4.6. 11 ???

Is it preferable to run the upgrade directly from 4.6.11 to 4.7 and deal with the issues ???

I know we have to move forward, however I really don't like the idea to have to Rebuild all the K2 Apps... just because 4.7... so the main question is...

To Upgrade, or not to upgrade....

That is a pretty good question. Here are the reasons why.

1. I have seen where people have upgraded to 4.7 and none of their applications were compatible with the new version.

2. I spoke with a K2 Help Desk person and they told me that we could not package our apps from a 4.6.11 environment and deploy them to a 4.7 environment.

3. K2 does not support you through the upgrade process unless you purchase their "Remote Mentoring Service" So with all of these unknowns you are on your own.

4. Support ends for 4.6.11 in September. I am not confident in the upgrade as it seems like 4.7 was released without solving all of the issues. There are a lot of fixes for 4.7. 

5. If we do not upgrade we risk losing support in September. 

6. The above issues raise some red flags as their seems to be a lot of risk involved. I am not sure I like the upgrade process for K2. We are a rather large company and the processes we build are important to the business. We cannot risk any down time or we can cause disruptions in the business. It really makes me feel hesitant to build anything significant in K2 or risk being in the spotlight in the future during an upgrade if there is down time involved.

Thanks,

Bryan Peters

You should be able to create package from 4.6.11 and deploy to 4.7.   Please see the following Package and Deployment Version Compatibility: https://help.k2.com/kb001782.

What is best practices recommending ???

On Place upgrade of the Installation Binaries.

Fresh install on another machine and perform Package & Deployment for each App ???

THX Dino