Question

Uploading Files Across Multiple Rows in Repeating Section of NAC Task Form

• 16 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi Everyone, 

I am currently facing a scenario and would greatly appreciate your insights and suggestions.

I have a workflow that begins with a NAC form submission. The form includes a repeating section with data lookup fields, a SPOC email ID field, and other fields. The initiator can add multiple items to the repeating section and enter a SPOC email ID for each item, which may belong to the same person or different people. The workflow needs to send an email and assign tasks to these unique SPOCs, asking them to upload documents for each line item corresponding to the respective SPOC mentioned in the repeating section.

Unfortunately, NAC has limitations that prevent us from displaying the repeating section details directly in our task form. As a workaround, we can convert it into an HTML table and display it in the form. However, we cannot add file upload controls inside the repeating section. But, it is essential to provide the functionality in the task form for the SPOCs to upload files across different rows in the table, which correspond to different line items mentioned in the repeating section of the start form. Despite my research efforts, I have been unable to find a solid solution.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions you may have.

Thank you for your time.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi, only thing I can think of is putting a description on the attachment control to have users name their documents in a specific format, or have the users save the documents in another location, and have them copy a document link into a control on to the table (if it is even possible to build controls into it)/repeating section (like a text short).

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Depending on how many categories of “Audit Check List” you have, instead of using a repeating section for each one, you could build each one into their own group of controls. You could have some logic in there to determine what groups should be hidden/shown in the task based on what was filled out in the original form’s repeating section. 

Badge +2

Depending on how many categories of “Audit Check List” you have, instead of using a repeating section for each one, you could build each one into their own group of controls. You could have some logic in there to determine what groups should be hidden/shown in the task based on what was filled out in the original form’s repeating section. 

Dear Bsikes,

Thank you for getting back to me. However, as I stated earlier, the Audit checklist is a data lookup control sourced from a different SharePoint list. As a result, the values in this field will be dynamic and subject to modification by end-users at any point in time. Consequently, I'm concerned that any hardcoded values may lead to the rule's failure.

Badge +2

Dear @bsikes,

Thank you for getting back to me. However, as I stated earlier, the Audit checklist is a data lookup control sourced from a different SharePoint list. As a result, the values in this field will be dynamic and subject to modification by end-users at any point in time. Consequently, I'm concerned that any hardcoded values may lead to the rule's failure.

Badge +2

Hello @Prineel_V3 

Thank you for your reply. As you may have noticed, I retrieve the values from the Repeating Section in the initial form and generate an HTML Table to display it within the Task form. However, this table is only a HTML string, and it cannot contain any controls to the best of my knowledge. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to work around this issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @Sankarlal 

It looks like this feature was added to the product in the May 2023 release.

• Reuse Repeating section Form control: If you add a Repeating section control to a form, you can now also reuse it as a start event variable by dragging and dropping it onto a task form. This feature allows you to use collection variables created in forms in other task forms in the workflow. For more information, see the Repeating section help topic.