Saving files to a file share from a workflow

• 7 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Has anyone found a reliable way to take files from a NAC / NWC workflow and save them to a file share on-premise?

I’ve thought of some very round about methods of saving to SharePoint online, then using a Nintex on-prem workflow to download and save but that’s pretty ugly.

The only other solution I’ve come up with is using Power Automate and the file system connector. However I’d really like not to use Power Automate and that connector is a premium connector requiring Power Automate standard alone licenses. 

(Just in case a product manager is reading this and would like to see a feature where Power Automate is better than Nintex)

Keen to hear anyone else’s solutions to having files from NAC / NWC cross the firewall.

I’ve also raised an idea for adding this to Nintex Gateway.

Add support for file shares to Nintex Gateway | Nintex Ideas

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Has anyone found a reliable way to take files from a NAC / NWC workflow and save them to a file share on-premise?

I’ve thought of some very round about methods of saving to SharePoint online, then using a Nintex on-prem workflow to download and save but that’s pretty ugly.

The only other solution I’ve come up with is using Power Automate and the file system connector. However I’d really like not to use Power Automate and that connector is a premium connector requiring Power Automate standard alone licenses. 

(Just in case a product manager is reading this and would like to see a feature where Power Automate is better than Nintex)

Keen to hear anyone else’s solutions to having files from NAC / NWC cross the firewall.

I’ve also raised an idea for adding this to Nintex Gateway.

Add support for file shares to Nintex Gateway | Nintex Ideas

Are you trying to pass a file through a nintex automation cloud (nac) workflow to something? And if so where does the file start and need to end? Sharepoint online or sharepoint on premise?

Example: user uses file upload control on a nac start event form and workflow stores it in a sharepoint online library or attachment on a sharepoint online list item.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @brandiwoodson 

Just to a network drive / file share on-premise.

This is for a school where the student information management system has a method to ‘watch’ a file share and any files placed into the folder are imported into the application against the student record.

I’m running into an issue where the Nintex Gateway product does not support file variables through any of it’s connectors (SharePoint On-premise, SQL On-Premise or Web Service)

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Understood. I am of no help to you; we work with NAC & SharePoint Online (SPO) and just finished migrating from SharePoint on premise (SPOP) to SPO so I haven’t had a need to connect to SPOP through NAC.

Hope someone else is able to provide you with support on this thread. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I’m using a process similar to your “pretty ugly” method. Files get sent to a third party service that can host a file then we have an internal process that runs every so often to download applicable files. 

I’m not sure if this would work, but I know Nintex has a “NWC Toolkit” connector here: https://gallery.nintex.com/t/toolkit-for-nwc

I’ve not used it, but it looks like it provides the ability to encode/decode files to base64 strings.  You could possibly use that to encode a file to a base64 string, pass that string through the gateway to something internal, where a script could decode the string back to the original file format… maybe?