Microsoft Excel connector - how to configure WF actions?

• 7 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I've set up the Microsoft Excel connector today using personal credentials. From another post in this forum I've read the connector can only interact with files in a personal OneDrive, but this isn't stated in the Help Documentation.

Assuming the other community member is correct - they seem to have got it working - where do I need to locate the Excel files in OneDrive for the Excel connector to find them? I've tried putting the file in the root - with no luck. A folder with a specific name? Anyone with experience here or from Nintex I would love to hear from you.

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

An update: the OneDrive location can't be correct.

I've established a new connection with another account. That account has a single Excel file in OneDrive - not in root. However, in the WF action I can't see that one file in OneDrive but can see multiple Excel files from other random locations in O365, such as Teams sites.

Unfortunately this doesn't help much, but there it is.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Bards 

Perhaps this video by @Marc_Wenning would be helpful for you.

Nintex Workflow Cloud Insert Excel Table Data Action - Marc Wenning

Cheers

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Garret,

Thanks for the video. Unfortunately it doesn't address the issue I am experiencing. Configuring the WF actions appears pretty straight-forward, however the explanation there for which Excel files the connector will 'see' based on the OneDrive for Business account of the connected account doesn't match the reality I'm seeing.

To recap: after making a connection, I'd like to know where are we supposed to place the Excel files for these to be available for the WF actions to access them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Bards 

Tested. Verified working!

1. Place the Excel into the OneDrive folder (Root). 

2. In NWC, the workbook name appears in the dropdown.

Perhaps you can share some details of your settings.

Where are you saving the Excel to? Using which ID?

Cheers

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Bards 

Did my suggestion helped?

Perhaps you can share some details of your settings.

Where are you saving the Excel to? Using which ID?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

A late reply, but unfortunately no, your advice while clear has not enabled me to get this working. i gave up last time but have tried again today as it would save a lot of time if I could have got this working.

To reiterate steps:

1. Save Excel files to OneDrive root - the account is in my name, corporate paid O365 account, not personal or a free account. Example below.

2. Establish a new connector in NWC: the connector asks for a name then direct me to select an O365 account to connect to - I select my corporate O365 account.
    There are no more connection steps.

3. In the WF action ‘Get table rows’ (for example), select the connection - and the files that are available to select from don’t list all Excel files in OneDrive.

From that screenshot there are two Excel files listed as available in that connection, neither of which are the Excel files from my first screenshot. Indeed, I have many Excel files in OneDrive, including the two listed - however the two listed are not in the root. But then again, the two files listed are also not in the same folder.in the drive. So there doesn’t seem to be any pattern here, or way to troubleshoot how this thing is supposed to work. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Bards 

Does your excel have a table defined in the worksheet?

Perhaps you can view the 2 listed Excel in your OneDrive?
Does the other Excel files have a table defined?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

HI @Bards and others, 

I previously raised an idea for the Excel connector to support sharepoint team sites.

You can give it an upvote here if you would like to support it.

Allow the Microsoft Excel connector to work with | Nintex Ideas

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@Garrett so yes, your final advice helped unlock this for me. Thank you for that.

Clearly defined Excel ‘tables’ (as defined by Excel) in one ore more locations on a saved Excel file are necessary for that file to be visible for selection in the Workflow Action. Also, there can be a delay there: if the table is a recent addition to an already hosted OneDrive file or the file containing the table has only recently been added to OneDrive there can be a period where that doesn’t appear.

Thanks again @Garrett for persisting with me on this.

And @Gavin-Adams I agree - this would be a more useful connector if it was available to connect to Excel files in SP rather than just OneDrive. I’ll be upvoting.