cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

isNullOrEmpty Issue...

Jump to solution

After upgrading to the latest version of Nintex Forms, I made a few changes to an existing form that had some isNullOrEmpty formatting rules.

Now, these rules no longer apply on 'New Item'.

However, if I select an option on the NamedControl that these rules apply to, then go back to the null/empty value, the formatting applies.

Has anyone else had this problem?  It seems like a bug, because there is one panel that it works on, but it's not working on any of the others.

Labels: (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: isNullOrEmpty Issue...

Jump to solution

The behavior of the isNullOrEmpty function has gone through some changes over the versions.  What version were you coming from, because if it was old enough, it could account for this behavior?  Also if you post an example of the type of control you are using to trigger the rule as well as the rule itself the community will better be able to help out.

Thanks!

Mike

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Mike . . . I wish I had kept track of what the previous version was.  It wasn't old, for sure, as we only started using Nintex within the last year.  Hope that helps.

I also hope this post isn't too long!  Here are the screen shots. Based on what the end user selects in my control named 'ChangeType', I want different panels to be hidden.  When they create a new item, I want all the panels to be hidden and have created separate rules for each.  One of them is still working, which is odd.

For the example, below you can see a panel that is selected and has the formatting rule I mentioned.  I know you can't see it, but I definitely have the 'hidden' checkbox selected in the rule:

Here is a close up of the control I am basing the rule on, so you know I am selecting the right rule in my condition:

Here's what happens when a user creates a new item.  The field that should be hidden when the Request Type (named ChangeType) field is null or empty is not hidden.  Neither are most of the other panels, but you get the idea.

Here's what happens when I select an option, "New Hire", which is one of the conditions in my formatting rule . . . to hide the 'Select Employee Name' field if the ChangeType field equals "New Hire".  The 'Select Employee Name Field' is then hidden, as it should be.

Then, if I go back and make the option null or empty again, the formatting rules apply . . . not just on this panel, but all of them, which is how it should work to begin with because each of the panels in the form have an isNullOrEmpty formatting condition.

Thanks for any help you might provide!

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Just to test which value the control is equal to when the form is loaded, can you add a calculated value on the form which formula would only be the control "ChangeType" and see what is it displayed when the form is loaded ? Can you also show us the condition you wrote for the formatting rule ?

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Caroline, if you click on the first picture I posted it will open up and you will see the condition I wrote in the rules area.

I will try what you mentioned and report back!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Caroline . . . interesting.  Check this out . . . when the form loads, the value is: **SelectValue**

When I select a value, then go back:

Who knew????

I will try entering this into the condition and see what happens.  You may have just 'saved' me.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

That's strange, I haven't seen that. What type of column is it ?

Glad that I helped you

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

That did the trick Caroline . . . Thank you so much!!!

You also gave me a nice little troubleshooting tip for the future . . . it will be really helpful.  I appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I often use it too

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

It is a choice type column.

Everything was working fine before the upgrade, and before I made any changes to the form.  As soon as I started trying to make any changes to the conditions, suddenly they stopped working.

I still have one rule that continues to work because I haven't touched it.  Very odd.

0 Kudos