cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using Managed Metadata with Nintex Forms

We're going to walk you through using Managed Metadata in any of your Nintex Forms with the Managed Metadata Forms Control. In this example, a new document library will be created with Managed Metadata, so every time a new document is added to this document library, they will be tagged consistently.

This is applicable to Nintex Forms 2013 and 2010.

Create a document library

Click on Site Actions in the top right-hand corner and click on Add an App. Create a new Document Library and call it “Archived Legal Documents”.

legal_docs.png

In the Document Library, click on the Library tab, and then Nintex Forms. The Nintex Form will automatically populate with the Document Library columns.

nintex_forms.png

Add a SharePoint column without leaving the Nintex Forms designer

This document library form requires one more column, and this is the Managed Metadata column. A new SharePoint column can be added directly from the Nintex Forms designer.

Click on the Create Column button in the Ribbon. This allows you to add a SharePoint column. In the Column Name, type “Category” and select Managed Metadata as the Type. Scroll down to the Term Set Settings section, add a term set to use from your SharePoint farm.

Note: The General Business Taxonomy in this example is available for download for SharePoint customers from WAND > http://www.wandinc.com/taxonomies.aspx

create_column2.png

Click Ok. Locate the Managed Metadata control in the SharePoint category of the Control Toolbox. Move the Save and Cancel buttons down, and drag the Managed Metadata control onto the canvas below the Title input field.

category.png

Add a Label Control

In the General category, drag and drop a Label control onto the canvas, next to the Managed Metadata control. Double click on the label and call it “Assign a Category”.

Add Formatting

Use the Format Painter to copy formatting from one control to another. Click on the Title input control and select the Format Painter icon in the Ribbon.

format_painter.png

Next, select the Assign a Category Managed Metadata control. The formatting will copy over. Repeat for the Assign a Category Label control.

assign_a_category.png

Test the Form

Click Publish in the Ribbon and click Close to return to your SharePoint document library. When you add a new item, the form will appear and will ask you to fill in the form we just created.

test_form.png

Every time you add a new document to this document library, they will be tagged consistently, making them easier to find in the future.

Labels: (2)
11 Replies
shyamshinde08
Nintex Newbie

Re: Using Managed Metadata with Nintex Forms

Hi,

My Managed Metadata has term-sets and terms as below:

--> Computers

-->Acer

--> Acer 1

--> Acer 2

--> Lenovo

--> Dell

--> Inspiron

--> Latitude

My requirement is to configure the metadata control in a nintex form such as I get the below output

--> Computers

--> Acer

--> Lenovo

--> Dell

I don't want to show the below sub divisions like (Acer 1 or Acer 2). Can someone please help?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Shyam

Not applicable

Hi,

is it also possible to Use Managed Metadata in Nintex Forms 2013 / 2.5.0.0?

We couldn't do this becuse we get the message: "Managed Metadata is not compatible with your installed Nintex Forms Version" (I translated it from german, maybe not exactly your text Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Andreas

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Andreas Schwarzlmüller​, yes managed metadata is available in NF2013, so you shouldn't be experiencing this issue! I sent the error message you are seeing to our product team to look into, and they were unable to reproduce. Have you created a support ticket for this case? If so, we'd like to get some more information from you about this, so we can look into it further.

Not applicable

Hi Emily, I am sorry I didn't tell you that i get this error in Nintex Mobile. So, I know that managed Metadata are working fine, but not in the Nintex Mobile - App. Thanks for your answer!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Ahh! Thanks for the clarification Smiley Happy unfortunately not. The managed Metadata control is not supported in the Nintex mobile app yet. Here is a list of the controls you can use in Nintex mobile Mobile Apps - Controls used in Mobile Form Design ​
renatois
Nintex Newbie

Hi, when trying to search for a term set in the field "Find term sets that include the following terms" I am getting "There was an error processing the request.". Any feature to activate? Thanks

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Can't see the option to use Managed Meta Data / Taxonomy fields in Office 365 nintex, is it not available?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Is there a similar post that says  what controls are available for Office 365 Forms desktop view and what isn't available ?

It would be good if there was an article which shows you what's available and not available across the board, i.e. OnPrem,Office365,MobileOnPrem,MobileOffice365 etc.

That would make it really easy to understand where the limitations are so they can be worked around before hitting them and finding a headache down the line.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Emily

I have a document library and created term stores for managed metadata, now I am trying to add add managed metadata column on Nintex form it fails and say "The current user has insufficient permissions to perform this operation", Please assist as soon as u see the problem, I need to finish this task, Your help will be appreciated

0 Kudos