cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

In O365 Nintex workflow App "Start a task process" Action how to capture approvers comments

Jump to solution

HI,

In "Start a task process" Action i assign the one sharepoint group for participant(approver),In that how can i capture the individual approver Comments..

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: In O365 Nintex workflow App "Start a task process" Action how to capture approvers comments

Jump to solution

Well, Looks like Arunkumar had the same question I have now  a while ago! Any recommended solutions for collecting data from 'Start task process' workflow action to a SharePoint Group?Jeremy Jaya Raj

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: In O365 Nintex workflow App "Start a task process" Action how to capture approvers comments

Jump to solution

Unfortunately this isn't currently available, but it is planned. You can vote for it in our feedback site Add(Caputure) Approver/Rejected Comments in assign a task action – Customer Feedback for Nintex  

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Thanks for checking this for me Emily. I believe, I have an interim workaround for the action and will continue with that for other forms/approvals as well until we have option to store ID from  'Start a task process' for referencing later. Thanks again! You guys are awesome!
Swetha

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Swetha,

Would you mind sharing your workaround?  I've found some for just the "Assign a Task" action, but none for the "Start a task process".

I voted in the Customer Feedback and I really hope that gets some traction, IMO, that action in greatly handicapped without this feedback mechanism.

Brent

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

You bet! Check this out. Nintex workflow for office 365-How to get the task ID of ‘start a task process’? | Sleep, Coffee, Sh...

• I used 'Assign a Task' action
  • choose SharePoint group in participant
  • save Task ID to a variable(varTaskID)
  • Follow that with  'Update list item'->choose 'Workflow Tasks' list
    • Get 'Description' where workflow tasks list item's GUID = varTaskID
  • 'Update List Item' action and select 'ApproverComments'(the column in your list where you want to capture the comments ofapprover from task list item 'Description') and pick the Description. https://swethasankaran.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/assignatask.png

Before 'assign a task' action, setup 'Send email action' and choose your approver's sharepoint group. Include link for their tasks list announcing that they will have tasks waiting. Assignment is  pretty quick so, although it happens in the next step, it wouldn't be a big issue. Plus, am sure it'll be enabled in future release so this is just an interim solution.

Good luck!

-Swetha

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Many thanks, actually stumbled upon your link in another thread and have tried it out, and it works great.

I've got some pretty dynamic complex workflows I'm doing, so currently replacing my single "Assign a Task Process" with a parallel block of up to 11 individual "Assign Tasks" with if statements to turn them on if certain fields are chosen on the item.  I'm actually opting to use the dictionary variable to capture all of my feedback within the workflow rather than writing it back to the item.  So it is all coming together!

Not the prettiest thing in the world but it will get the job done until I have to rework it with the 'final solution' 

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Very cool! Glad you found the post useful.

-Swetha

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Shweta,

Is there something we can do with 'Start a Task Process' to capture all the approvers comments.

In our workflow, there are 5 approvers (current item properties) and so we have to user  this action only , we can't use 'Assign a Task' action but we need to capture the comments for each approver.

Any idea on this?

Also, since we are migrating from MOSS 2007, in nintex 2007, 'Request Review' action was used and in O365, we are using 'Start a Tasl Process' action instead of that. Is there any other way?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Priyanka,

Hmm...from what I've seen so far, the only way I could capture approver comments was by getting task ID of 'Assign a task' action and then, having approvers to Edit Task item to include their comments in description. We can then update the parent list's 'approver comments column' with task item description Where GUID  of task item = taskID

You can checkout the blog where I documented how I captured the comments.
Nintex Office 365 Workflow for SharePoint Online: Approval Comments Capture | Sleep, Coffee, SharePo...

Also, to get comments of all the 5 approvers, do you wait for the responses to complete before passing task to the next approver?

One solution I can think of at this time is that if its a sequential approval path, where approver can get task assignment ONLY if the previous approver has acted on the task, then you could use 'Assign a task' action capture the taskID and then update your list column for approver 1 comments, approver 2 Comments etc., before moving workflow to the next step.

That said, why can you not use 'assign a task' action if I may ask?

I will be looking into 'Start a task process' for one of my workflows this evening. Will mail if I find a way to capture comments.

Swetha.

0 Kudos