Solved

Split huge list with 255 columns into 4 or 5 lists

Show first post

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hey ‌!

Consider usage of infopath form in such case. You can create a custom form, with many data fields, from which only several can be mapped onto SP columns. Then you manipulate with the data using "[...] XML" actions (query xml‌, update xml). So you will be able to keep your data within the form not pushing it into SharePoint. Just be aware, that there is a limit of a single InfoPath form being sent to SharePoint - it cannot exceed 5MB, but unless you plan to store attachments inside the form, you can barely reach the limit

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +9

Tomasz Poszytek

Thanks Tomasz for your inputs. Analogy with InfoPath is superb.  

Thanks for idea regarding repeating section and attachment limit.

I will be able to cut down number of columns considerably save the information primarily in the Form instead of SharePoint columns.

Question: Can I save the non-repeating sections controls as well (Single line of text,  Choice Box, Drop Down etc.) within the Nintex form?

I guess  suggested the same of my initial question about huge list with 255 columns. Right??

You can have a bunch of controls on the form that aren't linked to fields and where needed, a workflow can query the data inside the form, rather than having so many fields on the list itself

Thanks again!      

Badge +9

Hi Mike MRyan GreenawayTomasz Poszytek

• I have found that only 31 SharePoint Columns can be kept in SharePoint and remaining can stored in the Nintex form ( around 200 controls).
    Tomasz Poszytek thanks for Attach Files within repeating section limit. 

If I keep the  maximum information in the inside the Nintex workflow.
    From your experience, what could be the LOADING time when users open the form?

Any suggestions? 

Badge +3

Tomasz recommendation of InfoPath is what we did - we were collecting data to populate other fields and for our knowledge, but out of a couple hundred fields we only needed about a hundred of those fields for reporting, so we only pushed to the InfoPath form library the data needed for reporting and then had a Nintex workflow that copied that data to another SharePoint list, so multiple forms could feed data in to the same list. We also used a Nintex workflow to move attachments to a separate SharePoint library and cut down on the size of the form  (https://community.nintex.com/message/4840 - look for correct answer).