cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Create Item Action - Permission Error

Hi,

I'm using the Create Item in one workflow to create a new item in a new list using some of the data from the item in the source list. The workflow with the Create Item action is generating this error:  The workflow could not create the list item. Make sure the list exists and the user has permissions to add items to the list.

For some reason, I thought Nintex had admin privileges and that this would not be a problem.  The destination list is inheriting permissions from the site so there are no special permissions on the destination list.  The source list does have some special permissions though.

Labels: (2)
16 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Create Item Action - Permission Error

Hi Patti Naccarati,

Nintex will use the permissions of the initiator of the workflow. In this case, if you have triggered the workflow, and have permissions to create items on the target list, you should not have a problem. If another person is triggering the workflow that does not have permissions on the target list, there is a way around the issue. You can do what SharePoint calls an "impersonation step" in Nintex by using the "Action Set". Place the action set on your workflow canvas (it cannot be nested inside another structure like a loop or another action set).

Click the dropdown in the upper right corner and select configure, then from the Common selection I the ribbon, check the "Run as workflow owner" box. Every action that you load inside of that action set will execute on the permissions of whoever last published the workflow. Be advised that all of the items created in the target list will show up as created by the workflow owner, so if you are the one that published the workflow, you will show up in the "Created by" property of those items. I like to use a generic service account to avoid that.

If this helps or answers your question, please mark it as such so that others can search for this content under answered questions.

Best Regards,

Patrick Kelligan

Not applicable

Hi Patrick,

Thank you so much for the response.  Originally, it was started automatically by another workflow that starts the workflow that has the "Create Item" in it.  Then, because that generated the permission error, I added it to the context menu and started it manually from there.  I have site collection admin permissions on the site, so I'm still quite confused.

I will definitely try your solution above and get back to you. Thanks again.

Workflow Hero

Hi Patti Naccarati,

I believe that the initiator carries over from one workflow to another so it "John Smith" triggers Workflow: A and Workflow: A triggers Workflow:B, Workflow B will flow with John Smith's permissions.

Not applicable

Hi,

Using your example, Workflow A completes without error.  Workflow B used to complete without error until I added the Create Item. I created and published both Workflow A and B.  I have site collection admin permissions.  Why is the error occurring at the Create Item.  I added an Action Set at the top of Workflow B and enclosed all of the actions into is. It still generated an error at the "Create Item" action.  Then, I removed the Action Item at the top of Workflow B, and added is just to the "Create Item".  It still generated the permission error.  I can try adding the Action Set to Workflow A, I guess.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Does it have something to do with content types? 

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Content types does not seem like it would be the issue here. Do you have verbose logging on? If so what do the workflow history logs tell you? If you arte not familiar with verbose logging or looking into the workflow history, let me know and I will assist.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Still a problem. I added an Action Set on Workflow A that ran the workflow as owner and got the same error in Workflow B at the same place where it is creating the new item in the second list. I do not have verbose logging turned on. I can do that and see what happens.

Thanks,

Patti Naccarati

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Our admin guy is saying that verbose logging won't help without a correlation ID and this error does not throw a correlation id.  When I look at the workflow log that is created, it says the "System Account" is running the action. The "System Account" is supposed to have admin privileges so I'm very confused as to why this isn't running.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Verbose logging is a setting in the workflow that you can read without going to the server logs.

Go to Workflow settings and see if you see the Verbose Logging setting on your configuration panel.

If it is not there it needs to be enabled at Central Admin. If it is there switch it on for your workflows and then you will be able to see a graphical display of the workflows and where if failed. Additionally, you will be able to see a granular view of what values existed in the workflow during any given action execution. Very cool functionality. As a matter of fact, no error needs to exist at all to use this functionality. Just look at any workflow running the verbose logging.

Here is a screenshot from the Workflow history...

The green action ran fine. The white action did not run as a result of a conditional action. If an action started but did not complete, it will be yellow. Click on any green or yellow action and you will gat a verbose log of all values at the entry point of the action and at the exit point (before and after). Any changes in values will be highlighted in yellow.

0 Kudos