cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Can i update an item in a list from another list?

Jump to solution

I´ve created a list in SharePoint. What i´ll like to do is create another list, and retrieve some information from the first list to my new one, and be able to change the input data in a single line of text.

So lets say, list A is PopStar, with columns like Genre "Rock", HairColor "Red" and GrammyCount "2". In list B i only want textboxes to show whats in list A and be able to change (update) them, for example Genre to "Pop", HairColor to "Black" and GrammyCont to "8" ?

Is this possible?

Bets regards Rob

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Can i update an item in a list from another list?

Jump to solution

Only if you are David Bowie during his Ziggy Stardust phase.  But then we went to blonde, not black. And he's only got two Grammys, one for lifetime achievement (so says wiki, anyway).  Okay, actually I don't know. However, maybe this thread is of some help? @I want to query some values from two different lists.

View solution in original post

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Does list B start with items, or will it be created after an item is created on List A?

In any case, build workflow on list A.  Use "Create Item" to create an item on List B when an item is added.  You'll need to configure what to copy over.

In the workflow:

Create item in: [select List A]

Then add all the fields you want to copy over.

*Add a number field in the list settings for List B that will include the ID from List A when you copy.  I will for now call this "TrackingID"

Second workflow on List A:

configure to start on modify of list A.

Use "Update item":

Update: List B

Where: TrackingID

equals: List lookup

source: current item

field: ID

Field: [select the fields you need to update, making it "equals": list lookup to current item/field you need it to pull from.

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

You can create a workflow variable that is defined as List Item Id. Use the 'Copy Item' action. Choose the list name and select which item in that list you want. You can then query the list you have and sort it by id descending. Set your workflow variable equal to the largest id in your new list. That id should be the one you just added. Then you can use that id to query your list and update the fields you want to update.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Yes, very simple.  Especially if you are David Bowie.   Simply use create item action along with the fields you want to carry over.  The suggestions above all work as well. Then you can update as needed.

0 Kudos