Question

Odd Global Variable Behavior

• 14 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello,

I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding how Global Variables work, or if this is a bug. Yesterday I setup a wizard to use the Set Global Variable command to create a global variable (Odd that there’s not an interface to work with global variables outside of a wizard).  Then, I changed that action to a Get Global Variable action, and was able to successfully retrieve that variables value and use it in a Wizard. 

Today, If I use the Get Global Variable action, the global variable I created yesterday is no longer an option to choose from. I assumed that Global Variables were essentially permanent, but It seems like it was deleted at some point.

Does anyone know if this is how Global Variables are supposed to work?

Thank you​​​​​!

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hello @bsikes. 
I suggest you use a global function that can be added to any category. Right click and after creating don’t forget to publish it. Then use it within any wizard as there’s also an advanced called “global functions” accessible from within the wizard. 
if you google global functions kryon - then you should find some helpful videos online. Otherwise reach out to me - Marlon Gobitz. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @gobitz ,

I’ll look at doing that instead. But would you be able to provide some insight as to how the Global Variable is supposed to work? Conceptually, what I’m trying to accomplish really should be a variable, not a function.

Thank you

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

The global function is a set of variables. Try it out and you’ll see if it’s what you need. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@gobitz 

I understand what global functions are - we’re already using those in our environment. I’m trying to learn more about the purpose of Global Variables, as they’re not behaving as I expected they should. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello,

I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding how Global Variables work, or if this is a bug. Yesterday I setup a wizard to use the Set Global Variable command to create a global variable (Odd that there’s not an interface to work with global variables outside of a wizard).  Then, I changed that action to a Get Global Variable action, and was able to successfully retrieve that variables value and use it in a Wizard. 

Today, If I use the Get Global Variable action, the global variable I created yesterday is no longer an option to choose from. I assumed that Global Variables were essentially permanent, but It seems like it was deleted at some point.

Does anyone know if this is how Global Variables are supposed to work?

Thank you​​​​​!

Global Variable is just like any other Variable. 

The only difference is that a global variable to a local variable is that it is visible across multiple wizards.

I hope it helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@fguaragna Thanks for responding.

That’s what I assumed, but I also assumed the variable would remain out there indefinitely, so that other Wizards could continue to make use of it. If that’s not the case, then what determines when a global variable is deleted?

Thanks!