Question

WF failed to start

• 5 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +8

I have a WF (WF1) that Fails to start. I created an new WF (WF2) that pauses for 5 mins then start this WF1. WF2 then fails to start, but the WF1 works and completes.

Hope you follow. WF2 below

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

@michuk ,

Adding WF2 just adds another layer of complexity to the issue.
Can we see WF1.

Badge +8

Hi 

See attached.

@SimonMuntz 

Thanks

Badge +8

To add it starts the WF - sends the WF failed email then completes all in the same minute?

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @michuk 
it seems a SPTimer service issue on your SP Server.

Please provide the following info to narrow down the issue, also at the time of the issue 20/6/2023 11:30 can you please check the ULS Logs : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/view-diagnostic-logs for any error at that time.
Info will help to narrow down the issue:

It might be a performance issue
Please provide the following info:

1.  How many items are in your 'NintexWorkflowHistory' lists?  (should be under 5,000 items)
Navigate to Http://SiteName/Lists/NintexWorkflowHistory and check how many items are present.
or 
go to Site Settings --> find a Nintex Workflow group -->click on the "Manage workflow history lists" link

2.  How many workflow tasks are in the Task List this workflow utilizes?  (should be under 5,000 items)
Navigate to the task list your workflow/task action is configured to use and check how many items are present

3.  How many rows are in your 'dbo.WorkflowProgress' table in your Nintex Workflow databases (SQL)?  

5.  Also, please create a and run a simple workflow test on the same SiteCollection : and provide us with the result.
- using Nintex workflow : START -> Log history -> Pause 5 min -> Log history -> END     save/publish and run, does it run and complete within 5 min?
- using SharePoint Designer workflow (SPD) : START -> Log history -> Pause 5 min -> Log history -> END     save/publish and run, does it run and complete within 5 min?

Also, would you be able to check How many items are in the SharePoint table [ScheduledWorkItems] ? this table should be in the SharePoint content DB.
 it might be that the SPTimer job is so busy processing this job queue when it comes to processing a workflow with Pause action.

Thanks,Majid

Badge +8

Hi all

I have cleared the WF history etc.

I have run a test WF with one action and this is failing.

Any ideas?

Badge +8

I have only limited owner access. I can not access the admin site.  I passed your information to the admin team but no response yet.