This is related to SharePoint 2016 On Prem (not hybrid), patched to Nov 2022.
We are experiencing an issue with a select number of workflows in a site collection where a list item is created, a workflow starts and processes, however once it gets to the flexi-task, it will generate one task, then about 10-15 seconds later, generate another. it alternates between generating two and four tasks total. this issue also presents when the workflow is manually rerun. some workflows (which contain flexi-tasks) in the same site DO NOT have this issue (yet).
All but the latest task work, with the previous iterations of the task generating a “sorry, something went wrong” page.
When checking ULS logs for the correlation ID (from the error page mentioned above), there are three errors that jump out
- (<Task URL>): Nintex.Workflow.NWHumanApprovalTaskListNullException: The associated Task List is null (Build: 4630)
- Failed to handle form host page on initialize event. Error: Object Reference not set to an instance of an object... at Nintex.Workflow.Forms.ControlTemplates.TaskForm.InitialiseForm(Boolean hasEnterpriseLicense) at Nintex.Workflow.Forms.ControlTemplates.TaskForm.OnInit(EventArgs e)
- System.NullReferenceException: Object Reference not set to an instance of an object
So far, we have tried:
- Republishing the workflows affected
- Recreating the workflows affected (from export)
- purged workflow history lists
- disabling and re-enabling the features at the web and site collection levels.
- Upgraded Nintex from the July Release to Nov 16, 2022 Release.
Since completing all of the above steps, we have now also observed that all workflows are now taking greater than 10 minutes to change from Starting to in progress, where as prior to this, it would go to in progress upon workflow start.
Has anyone experienced this before?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.