Skip to main content
Solved

Having a requester fill out first part of a nintex form, then it gets passed around (supervisor, engineering, quality), to fill out different parts of the form and eventually submitted. (Nintex + Sharepoint)

• 25 June 2024
  • 6 replies

I have been looking into this, but I could only find resources on submitting the form from only the requestors point of view and then submitted. I want it so a requestor fills out the first part of the form. Then its submitted, and the supervisor see’s it in their email/ their list, and sees the first part, and fills out the second, then submits again. This repeats with quality, engineering, etc (all these stages need to accept or reject), until the whole form is filled out. Is this possible in Nintex + Sharepoint?

Edit: This is in Nintex Automation Cloud.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi,

TL:DR - totally possible in Nintex Automation Cloud (or Nintex for o365).

I’d  wouldn’t think of this as one big form that multiple people fill in.  That might have been the case in the good old days when people were sharing a paper form but here’s a different perspective of looking into it.

When I create a form, I put the end user front and centre and figure out exactly the information they must see in order to make their decision and only the fields they should be filling out.  Anything else is noise and distracts them from the task at hand.  Therefore here’s how I’d approach your scenario.

• Create a start form for the requestor to fill out.

Only include the fields the requestor needs to fill out.  Don’t include any of the other fields that other people will fill out as the requestor doesn’t really need to see them.

• For the next person (supervisor), use the Assign a Task to multiple users action and create a task form.

In that task form, I’d include some information that the requestor filled out but recommend you only show the fields that are essential for the supervisor to make their decision.  e.g. The start form might have asked for a person’s middle name for your formal record keeping.  The supervisor doesn’t really need to see their middle name to make a decision so don’t include it.  You can display previously entered fields either as fields or as text labels.

Remember the supervisor always has the option of viewing the entire form the requestor filled out via the MyNintex page if they really wanted to see all fields.

• Rinse and repeat the above for all the other people in the chain.

If you need a record of all the fields then I presume you’ll be saving this data somewhere e.g. a SharePoint list so they can always see that data or if they want a formal record of the completed form for their records, then you could use document generation to create a nicely formatted pdf. 
Badge +3

Hi Chris, Thank you for your well thought out response. I see what your vision is, I’ll play around with it to see if I can make something work.

Badge +3

I have a question. I see there is an option to bring information of the requestor form to the supervisor, because my start is when a new list item is submitted. I can just use start variables to do that. But then how do I bring the supervisor part of the form so the engineer can see that information?

Badge +3

Nevermind! I see there is an option to bring it over. I’ll see if it works out.

Badge +3

Now my question is, is there any way I can connect a field from the task form to my main list?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Yep - totally.  When you retrieve or update information in a SP list, it doesn’t really matter what data you are accessing or updating.  So in the example of updating, you could update your SP list with data from the first start form and any of the task forms - all those form fields are available to you as variables.