Skip to main content

I have a repeating section data. I used some java script to show up repeating section data in table format.

when I use export to excel feature the data exporting and showing up in XML format(something like in below screen print)

Do you have any ideas or workarounds for this??

Hi Aparna -  I'm afraid your screenshots are not being displayed... at least not for me.  I see them like this.  Can you update the screenshots?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your Response!

I copied and paste image might be that's the reason it was showing like that. can you please let me know if you still facing any issue to view images.

This is the table view of repeating section using JS linkThis is the exxcel doc image with repeating section data in Excel format.

OK, now I see your screenshots!  I'm unsure what the screenshots are from though.  Is that the repeating section in a Nintex Form or a SharePoint List.  Seems like there is some nice branding, but I'm just not sure what I'm looking at.

It appears that you have a single SharePoint column called "Bonus Approval Information" which is storing the XML output from a repeating section.  Is that correct?

What are the columns for Employee, BonusType, Study, Amount, Site, Comments, Approval?  Are these SharePoint columns in a list or only controls in a Nintex Form not connected to a column?

Is your goal to export these values from a SharePoint list to an excel file?

HI Tom,

Yes, Its repeating section in Nintex form. I have created a repeating section in nintex form and added all the columns (Employee, Bonus Type, Study, Amount, Site, Comments, Approval) these are SharePoint  list columns not nintex form controls.

fig1 - is the repeating section data showing up in table format for list view using JS link. I have used Osama Mourad: Nintex Repeating Section – JSLink to achieve that. I have created Bonus Approval Information column of type 'multi line text' and I connected this column to repeating section to show up XML data then I applied JSlink to render repeating section data into table format.

fig2 - my excel document which is showing up repeating section data in XML format when  I tried to export to excel.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><RepeaterData><Version /><Items><Item><Employee type="System.String">412;#i:0#.f|membership|aparnagajula@radiantresearch.com</Employee><BonusType type="System.String">Enter Choice #1</BonusType><Site type="System.String">5</Site><Study type="System.String">Test</Study><Ammount type="System.Decimal">123456</Ammount><Amount type="System.String">$123,456.00</Amount><SIte type="System.String">5;#010130 : Fiel Family and Sports Medicine</SIte><Comments type="System.String"></Comments><Approval type="System.String">Approve</Approval><RejectionComments type="System.String"></RejectionComments></Item></Items></RepeaterData>

My goal is the ability to export the repeating section data into excel file.

Thank You!

You can use Excel services to create a Excel file in a Sharepoint document library.

Build soap message using Build string action, Query XML action to transform repeating section to text, etc. and call Excel services:

• Excel service OpenWorkBookForEditing (when using a preformatted Excel template file)
  • Excel service SetRange (to create and fill rows and columns)
  • Excel service SaveWorkBook
  • Excel service CloseWorkBook

You don't have Excel Services in O365... Sorry, but your suggestion won't work in this environment

Aparna -

I believe the easiest way to do this will be to use the Query XML with the Bonus Approval Information data and format this data into a CSV formatted file.  Although this is not an Excel file, it will open in Excel by default.

To do so, you can use one copy of the Query XML action for each of the values in the Bonus Approval Information (Employee, BonusType, Study, etc.).  This will extract the list of values for each column to a Collection variable.

Then you can use the Collection actions to loop over the collections and process each row of data using the Build String action to create a CSV formatted text variable.

Finally, use the Office 365 Upload File action, which will allow you to create a new file using the CSV text variable. 

Let me know if you need additional details on how to configure this workflow.

Regards,

Tom Castiglia

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your response!

I am completely new to nintex workflows, Can you please give me step by step process on how to configure workflow? This will really helpful for me.

I appreciate your help!!

Thanks!

Aparna Gajula.