Skip to main content
Solved

Send an email using microsoft exchange online with multiple attachments on NWC

• 16 September 2023
  • 9 replies

I have a workflow that fetches a list of files from a SharePoint list and attaches the files and needs to send the file through Microsoft exchange online send email task.

I can’t figure out how to attach a list of files as attachments to the Microsoft exchange online send email task.

Can anyone help?

Are your files in a collection? Where do they originate in? A sharepoint library?

The are stored n a SharePoint library. I can get them in an item collection list, but I can’t attach that list to the Microsoft exchange online send email task.

The are stored n a SharePoint library. I can get them in an item collection list, but I can’t attach that list to the Microsoft exchange online send email task.

I do not think you can pass a collection of files using the exchange send an email action since it requires you add one file at a time in the configuration. Collection type is not allowed when adding a file. You’d have to merge your files to one document before passing it to an email.

If you must use exchange for business requirements, I would recommend just building a string for your files and include them in the body hyperlinked (with the link to the file and name of file as name) from where they originated. Users would have to have permissions of course if you did this method. We do this more often because of email limitations for size through exchange.

Here is what one of my emails look like using attachment string in an email body.

Alternatively, you can use the “send an email” communication action. We use this action 99% of the time and when attachments are required, we don’t have any issues unless files sizes are too large.

Thank you for your response.

My challenge is that we need to use exchange because of business requirements and because of regulatory policies in the country we need to attach the actual document not a link.

I guess I’m stuck for now, I’ll look what other options I may have.

Thanks once again for your quick assistance.

Can you use send an email action by Nintex? 

It'll come from nintex@workflowcloud.com which will vary based on data center your tenant is in.

nintex@uk.workflowcloud.com, nintex@au.workflowcloud.com etc.

They use sendgrid I believe. You can configure the reply to so responses go to internal mailboxes. And you can update sender name. We got our security team to remove the external indicators for us.

Good luck on a finding a permanent solution.

We’re in the insurance industry and regulation dictates that we keep all copies of sent communication to clients for at least  5 years, that’s why we need to use Microsoft exchange online.

Emails need to be sent from our exchange because we’ll have a copy and all the emails are archived and backed up automatically as part of our IT process. 

Makes sense. We usually bcc a centralized mailbox for that. However I suggest you put an idea in for multiple file attachment capabilities.

They review these when determining what to focus on for enhancements.

I’ll do that, Thanks.

Hi @brandiwoodson,

I just though I should give you an update since you gave advice of how to resolve my challenge.

I ended up using a Microsoft Graph API https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/api/user-sendmail?view=graph-rest-1.0&tabs=http which utilizes Microsoft exchange online to send the email with multiple attachments.

This required a bit of work on my side but at least I manage to find a solution. 

Thanks once again for your assistance.