Building custom-branded apps is easy with NME

Badge +6

Now that you have read through my previous post, Intro to Nintex Mobile Enterprise (NME), it's time to quickly and easily build our first app.  In this post I cover (step by step) the process of accessing the Nintex Mobile Enterprise (NME) website and building your first custom app.  For first time users this information will be helpful, but I think that our development and UX teams have done such a great job on making the NME site intuitive and easy to use, you can probably do it blind folded!

Setup

In this exercise I am building an app for my fictional company called Brad Co. I have also created a fictitious logo (special thanks to LogoTypeMaker.com!), as seen below, for use inside of the app.  Additionally, I have configured several SharePoint user accounts to use Microsoft ID's and Nintex Live to allow my mobile users to access their forms and tasks outside of the corporate firewall.

102070_pastedImage_18.png

Brad Co corporate logo

I have created several different versions of this logo for use in the app:

1. Color square with text @ 1300 x 1300 - 102073_pastedImage_29.png

2. Color rectangle with text @ 1205 x 310 - 102074_pastedImage_30.png

3. Color square without text @ 200 x 200 - 102075_pastedImage_31.png

4. Black and white square without text @ 100 x 100 - 102076_pastedImage_32.png

NME App Build Walk Through

1. I open my web browser of choice and navigate to 'nme.nintex.com' and enter the credentials I have received from the Nintex licensing team and then click on 'Sign In'.

102065_pastedImage_3.png

2. Since this is the time I have logged in, I see a diagram of the 3 steps of building an app. (On subsequent visits, you will see a list of the apps you have previously built.)

102066_pastedImage_11.png

3. I click on 'Create New App'.

102067_pastedImage_12.png

4. On the following screen I am able to populate settings for my app, including; App Settings, Platforms, Artwork and Refine. Notice on the right hand side, I can see my current progress in the app configuration process.

102068_pastedImage_14.png

5. Now I have populated the necessary fields and selected a Microsoft account type for authentication. Keep in mind, I could have choosen Corporate or Office 365 and have had the path to my on-premise SharePoint or SharePoint Online hard-coded into the app so that users do not need to manually enter this information, just their credentials.

102071_pastedImage_22.png

6. Now, under the Platforms portion of the configuration, I have chosen Android as the version of NME app I would like to build. (Note, you can mix and match any of the mobile operating systems you see on this list. E.g. only Android, Android and iOS, all of them, etc.)

102072_pastedImage_28.png

7. At this time, I can customize the master artwork to use in the app. These images (my Brad Co logo in this case) will be used on the various screens in the app depending on the particular device that the app will be used on.

102077_pastedImage_34.png

8. I simply click on the 'Upload' button for each type of artwork and upload the appropriate image.

102078_pastedImage_35.png

9. Now I click on the 'Refine' category and can further adjust the specific artwork used on various types of devices.

102079_pastedImage_37.png

10. Once I am satisfied with my refinements, I can click on the 'Queue to build' button on the progress dialog in the upper right hand corner of the web page.

102064_pastedImage_0.png

11. A dialog will pop-up stating that the build is in progress. 'Your app has been saved and added to the queue. There may be a little wait while we build your app, but the wait will be worth it.'  Well worth it, indeed!

102081_pastedImage_5.png

12. After clicking on 'OK' in the dialog, I am taken back to my home page where I can see that the app is being built.

102082_pastedImage_13.png

13. Once the app is ready, I see the Android logo in color and a 'Download' link has appeared.

102083_pastedImage_15.png

14. I click on 'Download' and my APK file is now ready for deployment!

102084_pastedImage_16.png

102085_pastedImage_17.png

That's it!

I have just created my first Nintex Mobile Enterprise App!  In my next blog post I will discuss deploying my newly minted NME app in several different ways.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

So awesome..

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Great post Super Brad!!