Document Review Date Approaching Reminders

• 13 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3
  • Rookie
  • 20 replies

Hello -  I would write about a list workflow that appears to be requested often.  The workflow needs to send a reminder to the document owner when the document review date is 90, 30, 15 days away from a Review Date (giving them time to review and update the document).

This document library has the following columns:

• Review Date (Date and Time:  Date Only) - mandatory
  • Document Owner (Person or Group) - mandatory

I tried many different ways but I have no luck. Can I build Nintex reminder workflow with SharePoint document library? Any help is appreciated. 

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

One way that you can accomplish this is by creating a site workflow to find the reminder items (15, 30, and 90 days) and run this workflow on a desired schedule (i.e. daily, weekly, monthly). Below are steps to configure this. Note that my version is Nintex Workflow 2013.

1, Create a site workflow on your site.
2. Configure the workflow.
3. Add and configure a “Calculate date” action to the workflow to find 15 days ago.

• Date = Check the “Use date when action is executed” option
  • Days Value -15
  • Store date in = dtTodayMinus15 (or whatever you would like to call this DateTime workflow variable)

4.  Add a “Calculate date” action to the workflow to find 30 days ago.

• Days Value -30
  • Store date in = dtTodayMinus30 (or whatever you would like to call this DateTime workflow variable)

5.  Add a “Calculate date” action to the workflow to find 30 days ago.

• Days Value -90
  • Store date in = dtTodayMinus90 (or whatever you would like to call this DateTime workflow variable)

6.  Add and configure a "Query list" action to find the 15 day overdue items.

• List = Your list
  • Filter = Select items only when the following is true:
  • DueDate is equal to dtTodayMinus15
  • Field = ID and store in a collection available (colProjects15)

7.  Add and configure a "For Each" action.

• Target collection = colProjects15
  • Store result in = txtCurrentID15 (text workflow variable you create)
  • Add and configure a "Send notification" action in the “For Each” loop to send to the Document Owner field for that item.

8.  Repeat Steps 3-6 for 30 days and 90 days overdue items.

9.  Publish the workflow.

10.  You could then schedule the site workflow to run on a desired interval (daily, weekly, monthly) or run it manually on demand.

Badge +3

Thank you bamaeric Rookie. The document library has Review Date column and it already populated a review date. Can I use Review Date instead of Check the “Use date when action is executed” option for Date field in Step 3 above?

There are 3 options for Default date: Blank, Today’s date, Specify date. What “Default date” option did you choose for dtTodayMinus30 Date and Time variable? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yes, you can use another date besides the default ones shown on the screenshot.  Just click on the dropdown on the Date selector to change Value to “List Lookup”. Then select the Source as “Current item” and select your Review Date column in the Field dropdown.

Badge +3

I don’t see “Current item” from the Source once I clicked on the dropdown on the Date selector for the Site Workflow. (See below). Source=Current item only shows if it is a List Workflow.

For testing purpose, I configured the following variables for Calculate Date:

Days = -1 instead of Days= -15 (for 15 days before Review Date), 

Days = -2 instead of Days= -30 (for 30 days before Review Date),

Days = -3 instead of Days= -60 (for 60 days before Review Date), 

Days = -4 instead of Days= -90 (for 90 days before Review Date)  

but the workflow sent 4 reminder emails same time instead of waiting for 1,2, 3 and 4 days before Review Date. Any thoughts?

Here are my configuration actions.

Query List

For Each

Full Workflow

Thank you.