This is Nintex Workflow on SharePoint Online
When writing an update to a people picker field in a list item using the Office 365 Update Items part I get the following error if I use the default setting (Login Name). I am grabbing the "Created By" field and writing it to another list on a different site in the same collection.
Some parameters failed the validation check.
- [InputMetaDataXml] : The 'Fields to update' is invalid. Input string was not in a correct format.
Ok so fair enough, I switch to user ID and it doesn't throw an error, but it doesn't appear to actually update the field either. I have tried email address and get the error, I didn't bother trying display name.
Anyone ran into this? Am I missing something?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Can you try to set the value for this field by formatting the return type of the "Created By" column as "User Id Number"?
This option is available when you click on the "fx" button which allows you to specify how to format the value.
Also make sure the Field Type is set as "User".
I ended up going another route with this (Using layer2 cloud connector to sync the records between sites), however I did make an attempt to use the user ID and didn't have much luck. That being said, I am not willing to say definitively that it won't (If I come up on the scenario again I will try it again).
The only shortcoming I can see with using user ID is going between site collections. I suspect they are going to have different Id's depending on what order they were added to the collection. So User 32 in one collection might be someone else in another.
I have not vetted any of this, so these are just my thoughts. As I mentioned, I found another approach which works a bit better for me for a variety of reasons. Nintex still factors in my app in a big way (and I love it), but for record transfer operations moving a lot of records with a ton of fields, there are tools out there that do it a bit better and easier.
Hi Brian Pulliam,
It will probably work if its within the same site collection.
I think the value passed to update item on other site collection didn't take effect because the user ID may not exist or possibly pointing to a SharePoint Group where the People Picker in the List Column settings only allowed saving "Person" only. This is also due to the user ID is a "Counter" field from User Profile Information List (hidden list).
This would require additional action in the design to query against the user profile list of the destination site collection to retrieve the user ID, perhaps by login name / email address.
No worries, glad you found a solution to this