cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

how to increase record number in SharePoint List Column

Jump to solution

I've migrated the data from one application to SP2010. In my SP List the column name is Request No.(Number) In this column the last record number is 400. Now when I'm going to add new record it should be 401 however its taking as 0.

So here when I add any record it will take the next new record number in Request No (Field Type - Number). For Example current record is 400 when I'll add new record it should be 401. Please advice

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: how to increase record number in SharePoint List Column

Jump to solution

Create a second list, e.g. master_request and create two columns type and number. Then create a record with values type=current_number and number=400.

In workflow use a 'query list' action to read number into a workflow variable using filtering by type=current_number. Increment number by 1 using 'Set variable' action and write back incremented number to master list using 'Update item' action and do a 'Commit pending changes'.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Using below URL I'm able to do but getting error in Update Items last one. In Log History its adding the number but in Update Items its not showing.Increment Workflow.png

Nintex Workflows makes it easy to create an auto incrementing column in SharePoint

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

You can have a workflow that runs when a record is added. Do a Query List to get the last record added and get the previous Request Number field. Do a calculation adding one to that workflow variable and set the new Request Number field.