cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Variables not passing between Workflows using Start Workflow Action

I have 2 library based Nintex 2010 workflows connected to same library. WF1 starts from a context menu item on the list, collects some info from a user in a form, (some list data, and some variable data) submits and saves the form does some logic to construct the strings, then passes some state as 2 variables into WF2 using the Start Workflow Action, a  multi line string (strInitiateState) and a single line string (strComments).):

NintexStartWorkflow.PNG

WF2 is the main workflow that runs the approval process, it is set to start manually, on update, on create, and has 2 'show on form' variables associated with it, a single line string and multiline string

When I run WF1, the data is captured correctly and I can log the 2 variables' states, and WF2 starts. The issue is that the receiving variables in WF2 show null when I log them- state is not getting passed.

I suspect that WF 1 is updating list state and triggering WF2 before the WF1 StartWorkflow action completes, but it does not seem that there are 2 WF2 instances that are running.

Do I need to use save state data/retrieve data action to do this, or use call web service (ick), or do I simply have to ensure WF1 does not update state of list before i use the Start Workflow action in WF1? I must enable WF2 to start on update and create - its the primary way to update the list.

Thank you

Labels: (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Workflow Hero

Re: Variables not passing between Workflows using Start Workflow Action

are you able to use the store data and retrieve data actions instead? 

If you have not used them before, let me know and I can give you a quick run through.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply