Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Multiple concurrent tasks

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to make a workflow where a variable number of people will get a task (determined by list item selections). What I'd like to do is take an action after each response. Creating a single flexi task with multiple assignees isn't working for my needs, as it is treating it as one response from the group. Here is what I'm trying to do. Here is an example: I have a field with 5 names in it; I want to send an approve/reject request to each of those 5 people. If somebody rejects I'd like to run a series of actions but keep the flexi task active and waiting for 4 more replies. If another person approves I'd like to run a different set of actions. In this scenario I want 5 separate decisions not one collective decision from 5 people. The catch is, the number of people involved is variable it could be 1, it could be 40 so I can't just build out parallel branches with separate flexi tasks in each, and doing a for each loop just makes it consecutive which would be hugely detrimental if I need 40 people to reply sequentially rather than all at once.

Any idea how I might pull this off? (This is analogous to in SharePoint designer workflows the "When a task completes" section, where I can take an action after each person responds within a task process)

Labels: (2)
18 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: Multiple concurrent tasks

Jump to solution

Hi Stephen,

In the FlexiTask, have you checked the box as seen in the screenshot below?

Regards,

Patrick

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I'm not actually using groups, they are individually named people. That box just seems to split out the members of a group but it still treats the entire flexi task process as one item having 5 people respond. What I'm trying to do is have a variable number of actions coming out either the approve or reject paths. if 5 approvals I want to run the subsequent actions 5 separate times not once for the whole bunch.

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Stephen Smith,

You could use "Run Parallel Actions" and parse the users in your field to variables and use those variables to assign the tasks.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

It is a dynamic number of tasks though. it could be 1 task or it could be 40+ would I really need to make 40 parallel branches and copy/paste the tasks in there (and put some conditions in to cancel unnecessary ones?) Surely there must be some means of acting upon each reply rather than the whole flexi task as one collective response. Perhaps not? I'm very new to nintex and appreciate your input, thank you. I'm coming from using SharePoint designer where if it makes 3 tasks in a task process, it has a section for taking actions with the completion of each task within that task process; so it's somewhat disappointing to lose that ability.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

I would suggest to split your logic to two separate workflows.

1st one will do the main logic and coordination.

so it loads list of approvers and then in a loop it will start another ("approval") workflow for every single approver.

2nd workflow will take care of your approval resp. logic common for all approvers. so it creates approval task and might contain (bit of) response processing logic.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

This idea intrigues me, I've been trying to figure how to rig it up to work concurrently though. I can make it do a sequential approval process in a way like what I think you are saying. I do a For Each loop and go through each approver. But the trouble with that is it is person 1 --> person 2 --> Person 3; but what I'm looking for is all people go at the same time.

What I'm trying to do, to clarify a bit, is I have a check box list with a couple hundred items, each item has an approver. The user selects lets say 10 items from that choices field. I run a collection operation, find the 10 approver names and stick them in a field on the list item. My goal at this point is to send 10 tasks out to those approvers, and each time one responds I'd like to run some commands. Like if the first person responds today I'd run commands for approval today, then another person responds tomorrow and I run more commands tomorrow for their responds and so on. Each task is not relevant to others being issued tasks, its not a collective 1 approval from 10 approvers, it is 10 independent approvals where if 5 approve and 5 reject that is fine I'd run collection operations to scroll through the selections pull out the rejected choices and stick them into a rejected items field, and vice versa for the approved.

The problem with what I think you are suggesting is that it would be sequential. Which the team I'm designing this for would consider very detrimental (as it would mean massive delays vs. just doing the whole thing manually)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

But the trouble with that is it is person 1 --> person 2 --> Person 3; but what I'm looking for is all people go at the same time.

that can exactly be achieved with the concept I suggest.

in fact you can control it as you like: start workflow action has a check box 'Wait for the workflow to complete before continuing', so if you keep it unchecked the parent workflow just spin off child one and do not care anymore of it. so you can start as many workflows as you need, they all will run in parallel.

it is 10 independent approvals where if 5 approve and 5 reject that is fine I'd run collection operations to scroll through the selections pull out the rejected choices and stick them into a rejected items field, and vice versa for the approved.

here I'm bit confused what would you like to achieve at end.

handling might depend on the complexity of this logic  and dependencies between single approval tasks...

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Stephen Smith,

What about making the second workflow in Marian Hatala's suggestion a site workflow? Then you can pass the approver variable to it and run as many instances against an item at the same time as you like.

Regards,

Patrick

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

yes, you are very right - I forgot to mention child workflow in that case has to be site one.