Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Cascading Drop-Downs using one SharePoint List

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm new to using Nintex, please bear with me if I'm not making any sense Smiley Sad. I'm using on-prem SharePoint and Nintex. I have one SharePoint list which contains all of the columns I need to create the form. I've tried researching, but couldn't find a confirmed answer if it's possible to create cascading drop-downs using one list. I've seen many examples which uses two or more lists, but if doing so, it would be difficult to manage for someone else. Also, is it must that a lookup column is used?

Here's more details to what my columns are in my list (just for example):

Type (Choice - Cookies, Candy)

Category (Choice - Homemade, Boxed, Fresh)

Factor (Choice - *different explanations*)

I would like to know if it's possible if depending on my first drop-down (Type) I choose "Cookies" and second drop-down (Category) I choose "Homemade", it will filter the third drop-down (Factor) to have a specific list of explanations only if those choice combination are chosen that I can pick from. Same thing goes for other choice combinations, it will filter the "Factor" drop-down accordingly. Please let me know if this makes sense or not and thanks for any help! Much appreciated!! Definitely let me know if you need more information.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Cascading Drop-Downs using one SharePoint List

Jump to solution
Hi,

Using 1 list to do cascading drop downs may be possible but all users including myself always use multiple lists, its just how its done.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I also think you need multiple lists for this purpose. But you can play with Rules in order to show/hide them.

Example:

List 1: Type (Choice - Cookies, Candy) - On load keep only this list visible and hide other two lists. Once the selection is made, hide list 1 and make List 2 visible. (keep the 3rd list hidden as well)

Do the same for third list. You can also keep a YES/NO to reset these drop downs.

Hope this helps.

AK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution
Hi AhmedK,

I tried this solution and it works, but I noticed after configuring the different rules to hide/show the different panels. The "Factor" column does show the different types of explanations, but when I test submit. The "Factor" choice did not save to the column. I confirmed that the field is linked to the column. Could this be caused by the rules on the hidden panel?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi,

No it should save all the values that you have selected, even if the drop down is hidden.

Attaching the export file for your reference and screen shot of the list.

Regards,
AK

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

can provide clearer steps on how to do this?

0 Kudos