Skip to main content

Model A is parent of Model B and Model C.

Model C has a lookup to another object, which includes an email field. Let’s call this Model_C_Email_Lookup__r.Email__c.

When a record is created in Model B, I want to automatically send an email with data from Models A and B, to all the rows in Model C, where the Model_C_Email_Lookup__r.Email__c is the TO field.

I tried workflows and lightning processes, but they both require me to create an SFDC “Email Alert” on the same object that the process/workflow runs on. And from that object (Object 😎, there’s no way for me to access (in the SFDC email alert) the Email Field in the related model, at least not that I can tell.

I don’t want the user to have to do anything… this should happen automatically.

Is this impossible? Does this require a foray into apex triggers? Can I set up the standard email URL hack to send automatically? Is there some kind of external email solution I can plug into?

Thanks for the pointers!

We’ve not had much luck with triggering the salesforce native email tools.  This may be a case where you need to go with an external email tool like Marketo.  

You basically need to create a model for object C that gets queried whenever a new row in Model B is created.  (Model Action probably)
Then the rows in Model C need to get passed into the external email generation tool 

Here is  a post Zach wrote about mass email using Marketo.   https://community.skuid.com/t/how-to-add-marketo-send-email-mass-action-to-a-skuid-tab…

Matt - you’ve probably figured something out by now, but we’re doing what you’re asking by using Conga Composer and Conga Workflow. If you can get your process to work by pushing a Conga button using background mode, which you could do with a Conga Query to lookup the related model, then you can use that button code to create a Conga Workflow formula field, then you can use the standard SF Workflow Rules to trigger when your Conga Workflow happens. 

For example, we have a DocuSign email auto sent with every new opportunity, to a Contact on an Account related to an Opportunity via a custom join object. 

Thanks, Jack. We’re actually using MailGun’s REST API to send emails. It’s a little clunky, but free!