Solved

New to Kryon - How to loop with multiple steps & How to select item from application list using a variable

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello!

We’re new to Kryon and are testing the waters by trying to replicate functionality we’re currently getting from Nintex RPA LE in Nintex RPA (Kryon).  So far, we have two immediate pain points that we’re trying to find the best way to overcome. It may just be that we need a mindset adjustment with how one RPA tool works versus another, but I’m hoping we’re just not finding the commands that are available to us to accomplish this.

Loop spanning multiple actions

Within Nintex RPA LE we’re able to import a set of data (from CSV/Excel), then have the program loop through each record in the data and accomplish multiple steps (including targeting different UI elements) within each iteration of the loop. With Kryon, our exposure to the Loop advanced command seems to imply that the loop is only present within an individual “step”. If we needed a loop spanning multiple steps, is there a simple way to accomplish this? We know that we could build our own loop by incorporating “go to step” advanced commands to accomplish what we’re looking for - but we’re curious if we’re missing something obvious with the built in Looping of the tool.

Select specific item from list based on variable value

Within Nintex RPA LE, we’re also able to select an item from a list (assuming the program is able to identify the list). This item can be dynamically determined using variables, as it won’t ever be the same item that’s used when the action is originally setup. We’re able to accomplish this same functionality with the “Click on UI object” advanced command and then change the UI Automation Selector Syntax to use variables rather than the hardcoded values originally recorded. The problem is that after setting these values, we’re no longer able to go into the step to see what the UI Automation Selector Syntax was set to.  Are we missing something obvious regarding these actions that would let us see how it’s been configured or are we using the wrong tool for the job?  I think we could also accomplish this same functionality by activating the list, and typing out the variable value which should navigate to the correct item. I’m hesitant to use this approach, as we have some applications where the application doesn’t behave this way.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by fguaragna 14 August 2023, 19:01

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@bsikes A Nintex RPA team member will get back to you shortly.  Thanks for your patience.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@Sasan - Any idea if there’s a way to unmark your response as having solved this question?  Looks like it automatically was marked as the best answer for some reason.

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

@bsikes @Sasan 
Apologies, this answer was marked incorrectly. I have removed it! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thanks @MillaZ !

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hey @bsikes,

Regarding your first question,
You are right. The only way to accomplish this is by using the “go to step” advanced commands.

Regarding the second question, please use the ‘Array’ advance Command.

Thanks for your patience.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thanks for the response @Eli_Shteinberg 

I may not have been clear on the second question. We’re wanting to select an item from a list on an application, not pull it out of a variable. I can accomplish this with the “Click on UI Object” command, and then change the selection criteria to use a variable instead of a hardcoded value. However, doing it this way prevents us from going back and editing that command to see what it’s accomplishing.

As an example, if I target this object:

Choose the Selectors:

And then change the selector to something else:

If I then try to go back an edit that action, I no longer have the option to see what selectors are present.

Is there a better way to accomplish this selection that would keep the transparency of what’s actually being targeted? 

Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hi @Eli_Shteinberg 
Any further suggestion you could give here? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

would selecting “don’t match using text” help here?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@gobitz  I’m not sure I follow what you’re suggesting. 

The main issue that hasn’t been addressed yet, is that when using one of the UI object actions, I’m not able to view the selectors for an action after it’s been set up. If we later need to modify that action or see what it’s trying to target, we’re unable to.  This behavior is different than the HTML actions as an example. 

Thank you

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks for the response @Eli_Shteinberg 

I may not have been clear on the second question. We’re wanting to select an item from a list on an application, not pull it out of a variable. I can accomplish this with the “Click on UI Object” command, and then change the selection criteria to use a variable instead of a hardcoded value. However, doing it this way prevents us from going back and editing that command to see what it’s accomplishing.

As an example, if I target this object:

Choose the Selectors:

And then change the selector to something else:

If I then try to go back an edit that action, I no longer have the option to see what selectors are present.

Is there a better way to accomplish this selection that would keep the transparency of what’s actually being targeted? 

Thank you

If I my assumption is correct, your ultimate goal isto select a value in a dropdown, correct?

To achieve that,  You can assign your selector to a variable using the Set Value command.

Per example, I can see you want to select Daily Reports.

First, make sure you create a variable that contains the exact value from the dropdown.

Per example: $myDropDownValue$ = DAILY REPORTS

then, you should assign to $mySelector$ the following value

$mySelector$ =  ui.n(Disk Group).n($myDropDownValue$)]

This way, you will have control on what is being assigned to a selector.

and yes, once you customized your selectors,the transparency is no longer valid. The only way to see all original selectors is by mapping the html object again, by clicking on the dropdown in the original webpage.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thanks @fguaragna

That’s a decent workaround to keep visibility into an action’s selectors if you’re not able to view them after setup… Still, the actions really should keep that visibility, similar to how the HTML actions behave.