Solved

How to escape dollar sign to avoid variable reference

• 20 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello,

We’re trying to use the “Run Script” action to run a powershell script. Powershell uses $ symbols to signify a powershell variable.  We’re noticing that scripts don’t run correctly anytime there’s more than 1 $ in the script.  My assumption is that when the script runs, it’s trying to evaluate everything between $ symbols as an RPA variable. If this is the case, how can we escape a $ symbol so that Nintex RPA doesn’t try to interpret it as an RPA variable?

I’m assuming this is an issue where ever variables can be used. As an example, using this “Set value” action:

Results in this output:

Any advice would be appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by Garrett 20 April 2023, 19:29

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @bsikes 

You are typing to insert a variable value within a variable.
Since the variable is not declared, it evaluates as -blank-
That's why variable testdollar variable evaluates as “Debits: 456.00

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/kryonrpa/22.9.1/Content/AdvancedCommands/VariableCommands/Set_Value.htm

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thanks for the response @Garrett 

I assumed that’s what was happening - I just also assumed there would be a way to escape the special character to indicate it should literally be there.  That being said, using “Set Value” to set a variable equal to $, and then using that variable for the script did work. 

Also, thanks for screenshot of help doc. I looked at that page quite a few times and for some reason never saw that note.