#RPATips: What do RPA developers wish they knew before starting their careers in the field?

• 11 August 2021
  • 0 replies

Oftentimes, starting a new position is just like the first day of school: you’re nervous and thrive in your new environment. 

That’s why we did a quick round-up of what RPA developers across the web wish they knew before starting their journeys in the automation world. Here are a few of our top takeaways from Reddit, Quora, and Facebook: 

1. “RPA developers do face a lot of the same engineering challenges that software engineers face. Does this process correctly fulfill the business requirement that it’s supposed to? How do I organize my thoughts and present my work clearly so that other developers can easily work on the same processes? What assumptions have I made about the conditions in which I expect my process to work?” 

2. “Don’t fall into the trap of feeling comfortable and not improving. I went into RPA straight after receiving my computer science degree and that’s where I really learned to code. There are really good learning experience opportunities if you’re interested.” 

3. “Is it necessary to be certified to become an RPA developer? Honestly, once you’ve built yourself some robots and have a good understanding of each command you’re using, it’s worth just paying for the exam and certification. I wouldn’t say it’s a requirement for most RPA roles, but it may give you the edge over those who haven’t gone out and got it.” 

4. “Any programming experience you have will serve you well as an RPA developer. But you won’t really be using Java or NodeJS at all. For the the big players, C# and .NET experience will be a bit more useful, as they allow you to write a bit of code to fill in the gaps. Most business processes you’ll automate, though, likely won’t necessitate you writing any ‘real’ code. Generally, .NET code is employed to fill in the gap of functionality that you may have.” 

5. “A common issue is that the non-tech people explaining their processes aren’t very good at thinking in a logical rules-based way... and don’t realize all the decisions they are making as they complete the process. The RPA architect mapping the process will need to try to guess what the non-tech person isn’t mentioning... and that’s not always an easy task. Sometimes, the non-tech teams are blessed with one tech-aware individual who understands the basics of programming rules based stuff. If that’s the case, get that person involved! They will be good to bridge the gaps.” 

Are you ready to start on your new path as an RPA developer? Check out our courses or learn more from our guide to best RPA practices here:

https://community.kryonsystems.com/KryoNet/s/article/Robot-Utilization-Best-Practices

#RPA #RPADeveloper #RPAJobs #ProcessAutomation #ProcessDiscovery 

0 replies

Be the first to reply!