Skip to main content
Question

SharePoint On Prem 2019 form rule to validate if drop down B contains (or starts with) drop down A

• 25 July 2024
  • 1 reply

SharePoint On Prem 2019 form rule to validate if drop down B contains (or starts with) drop down A

1. Two drop downs
  2. Drop Down A - Drop Down B
  3. I need a rule that will only allow people to select an option from drop down B that starts with or contains part of what was already chosen from drop down A. 

Ex:

Drop down A = “Account Balance”

Drop down B = out of the 100+ options I need to make sure people pick one of the “Account Balance - options”

Not sure on how to accomplish this so figured I’d reach out. Please let me know if the above isn’t enough information. 

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @Ryan1,

Instead of validating that the customer has picked a valid option in dropdown B based on dropdown A, I suggest that you use cascading dropdowns.
Using cascading dropdowns will filter the option in dropdown B based on the selection in dropdown A so that only a valid option can be selected.

This tutorial is for Nintex for O365 but the concepts are the same for on-premise.
https://help.nintex.com/en-us/Office365/Forms/ResponsiveClassicForms/TipsAndTricks/Cascading-intro.htm

There are many other tutorials available that you can find by Googling Nintex Cascading dropdowns.
Example: