Question

Running more then 6 workflow instance concurrently

• 17 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

Can I check if there is any limitation to run more than 6 workflow instance concurrently at any given time? 

Background
We have a approval request form which stores data in SharePoint list. As a final step, we will need to perform some attachment merging into a single PDF file. As such, we will need to validate the request and once validated, we will trigger the flow to merge the attachment. Some days we will have a lot of requests and to save time we will concurrently trigger a few of the workflow to speed things up. So we found that each time we trigger 6 workflow instance, we are not able to trigger the 7th. and the page will hang when loading the start workflow page. 

Initial we thought that it is a laptop issue and we took another laptop to do the same. somehow the second laptop also can trigger only 6. however a new issue arise is that since both laptop trigger the workflow concurrently, the process to start to workflow gets even slower and most of the time it hangs, and causing up to 50% of the concurrent workflow instance will hit error and the entire sharepoint site will lag. if both laptop add togeher only trigger 6 instance concurrently, there will be no issue. 

therefore, i would like to check if there is any settings we can set to bring up the max concurrent workflow instance as there are still ample server resource to utilize. 

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @DarwinGoh 

I would check your Nintex settings to see if there is a limit on the number of concurrent workflows:

1. Log in to your SharePoint site with administrative privileges.

2. Open the Nintex Workflow settings or Nintex Workflow Central Administration, depending on your Nintex version. You can typically find this under the "Site Settings" or "Site Contents" menu.

3. In the Nintex Workflow settings or Central Administration, look for a section or setting related to workflow concurrency or parallelism.

4. Adjust the maximum number of concurrent workflow instances to your desired value. This value can vary depending on your Nintex version and licensing.

5. Save your changes.

6. If necessary, restart the Nintex Workflow service or timer jobs to ensure that the new settings take effect.

If that is not the issue then you may need to check the workflow batch size in Central Admin:

1. Open SharePoint Central Administration on your SharePoint server.

2. Navigate to "Application Management" and click on "Manage service applications."

3. Locate and click on the "Workflow Service Application" associated with your web application where your approval request form and workflows are hosted.

4. In the Workflow Service Application settings, you should see an option called "Max Instances Per App Pool." This setting controls the maximum number of concurrent workflow instances allowed for the associated web application.

5. Increase the value of "Max Instances Per App Pool" to the desired number of concurrent workflows you want to support. For example, if you want to support 20 concurrent workflows, set the value to 20.

6. Click "OK" or "Save" to apply the changes.

7. It's recommended to also restart the SharePoint Timer Service on your SharePoint server after making this change to ensure that the new setting takes effect.

Please note that increasing the maximum number of concurrent workflows can put additional load on your SharePoint server, so make sure your server has sufficient resources to handle the increased workload. Monitor the server's performance after making this change to ensure it is running smoothly, adding additional WFEs may be required to ensure stability and performance.

Badge +1

Hi Jake,

i have tried to follow the steps above but i cant seems to find the workflow concurrency or parallelism in both the site settings and SharePoint Central Admin. As for the second option, we do not have the workflow service application as we did not install and configure Workflow Manager. 

just to provide more information my SharePoint is on SharePoint 2016 Dec 2021 CU and nintex is Nintex Workflow and Forms for SharePoint 2016 (4.6.2.40)