Hi, over the weekend my workflow started to error out at the following action. I have no idea why it started failing all of a sudden. When approvers go in to approve the task, they are able to approve it however the status of the workflow shows up blank and it errors out with
“The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information. Access Denied”.
Things to note:
- The current workflow task history is hitting 55000+ items which does surpass the threshold. I will work to get the task item count below the threshold.
- Additionally, I have provided the group of approvers with Contribute access, it was previously just member access.
- I have also tried to add a commit pending changes before the “Start CreateRequestNum workflow” and this hasn’t helped in anyway
- The workflows started erroring today as soon as someone approves the request, it restarts the workflow and errors out at the following action. See second picture.
Hi, try adding pause action.
I have added a pause, I have also added commit pending changes after any action that updates or changes a value in the SharePoint list. Still no luck.
The workflow errors out sometimes, but then sometimes it also completes and restarts the workflow again without any errors. So basically users get duplicated emails and get asked to reapprove.