Solved

Muliple instances of workflow overriding the existing value

• 24 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

I have a Main list having a column called “A”, with a workflow. I have another child list, with a workflow. When I create an item in main list, multiple items will be created in the child list. For example, Main List item has one item with ID 7, child list has 5 items with Parent ID as 7. I have a scenario, where the child workflow will query the column A of the main list and update it with a value, as and when the workflow reaches to that update action, it gets the value of column A and appends it with the value. But as I have multiple child items, its overriding the values updated by the another workflow. Is there any way to prevent this.

icon

Best answer by SM123 28 April 2023, 21:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @SM123 

Difficult issue. 

After writing the value (eg “123”) to column “A”, pause for 2-5min and retrieve the value again.
Check if the value “123” exist in column “A
 - if exist, the write was successful
 - if NOT exist, the write failed. perform another write.

One method would be to also send yourself an email for each append. 
Include the following items
<Parent ID> <Datetime Stamp> <Append Value>
This is helpful to identify or detect whether there is any missing updates.
But there isn’t any automation to detection and performing corrective action - You need to do it manually

A better way is to write to a SQL Table. Use an auto-increment primary key.
Include the following items
<Parent ID> <Datetime Stamp> <Append Value>
Create a scheduled workflow to detect and perform corrective action.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @SM123 

Ignore the email method - Its a weak example to help solve your issue.

Instead use a list columns of type “Multiple Lines of Text” with the “Append Changes to Existing Text” option set to Yes. Creating this column type is easy.

Refer to this article

Badge +4

Hi @Garrett 

Thanks for the guidance.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @SM123 

Did you manage to solve your issue?

Which method did you utilized?

Badge +4

Hi @Garrett 

Yes the issue is resolved. I am saving the value I want to update in the child list column, once all the child workflows are completedI, I update it through my main workflow, instead of updating through child workflow.