Question

Getting current user for editing Nintex Forms

• 20 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I’m building a Nintex form for Sharepoint 2019 and I can’t seem to get the Current user function to work well with UserEquals for rules. It seems to fail to evaluate UserEquals to True even if the Current user editing the form is in fact the user it should be comparing to. The goal is that users first fill out a request form, which gets saved as an item in a list, and then users from a receiving department add more specific information that the initial requesters would not know or be familiar with for an executive branch to know exactly what the request entails. I want to make the areas to add the more specific information only visible to the users that would know what to fill out there when they receive the initial request, not to anyone sending an initial request (as those initial users would maybe guess what has to go in there leading to confusion down the line).

If I could get the Current user check to work I could also make sure that a user has filled out everything they have to and add a check to the save button on the Nintex form.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I’m not sure if I can bump this one up, I haven’t received an answer on it yet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @BobR 

Which type of form are you using - Classic or Responsive?

Here are some tips to help you.

How are you getting the value of current user? 
Classic and Responsive 

Just insert the value of the current user onto your form. What values are shown?

What values are you comparing against with UserEquals function?

Is it a hard-coded value?
Is it a variable value?
Is it retrieve from SP List - People column?

(I’m using SP Online and not using SP 2019 - seems that I don’t have the UserEquals function)

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I’m using a responsive form on Sharepoint 2019. It seems that I can't get the UserEquals function to work either. When I put a rule like

not(UserEquals(Person1,Person2))

and let that rule hide another part of the form (so that part should become visible when Person1 and Person2 are the same person), it seems that if I enter the same person in both fields it doesn’t update the visibility immediately. If I then save the item and go to Edit mode on that same item I get an error “Something went wrong. And unexpected error occured.”

The error also occurs if Person1 and Person2 are different and I try to go to edit mode after making an item.

Btw, in this test Person1 and Person2 are person/group columns that I can edit on the Nintex form.

So maybe I’m thinking the issue isn't with the CurrentUser function but with the UserEquals function. I’m just confused as to why it doesn’t seem to be working as UserEquals seems to be such a simple function on the outlook; input two users, it results True if they match and False if they don’t.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Bumping this one up. I’m still having this issue. If I have a Nintex form with a UserEquals function, and the UserEquals should result in true I get a “Something went wrong, and unexpected error occured.” error message instead of loading the form. If the UserEquals function results in false it seems to work correctly though. This is on Responsive form for sharepoint 2019, Nintex version 5.2.2