Solved

Configuration error when setting up lookup control connected to a SharePoint lookup column

• 4 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I faced a problem with the new designer lookup control when connecting it to a SharePoint column with lookup data type. The SharePoint column has already been configured with a list from which the data should be loaded and the specific column of that list from which the data should be pulled. The problem starts in the Form Designer, after you open the lookup properties – if you leave the lookup as it is (dropped from the side pane) then it will work without any error, but as soon as you open the properties of the lookup you get the error that the control has not been properly set up and in the properties you can see that the list and column properties are empty.

Prior to opening the properties panel the lookup loads data successfully, only after you open it to change the name for example does the lookup not load data anymore and the error shows up. 

Is there a workaround to avoid encountering this type of error?

ASC Lookup content type

Lookup column settings 

ASC Content Type

Lookup in designer without the properties tab open

Lookup when properties tab is open

icon

Best answer by Jake 4 March 2024, 16:28

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @DBlaNQ 

It seems the list name is not being passed into the Nintex form as part of the field config, it looks from the screenshots you are using a site column, is this column existing on the site collection you are in or was it moved from another site/collection? 

It might be worth contacting Nintex Support for assistance. 

Jake

Badge +1

Hi @DBlaNQ 

It seems the list name is not being passed into the Nintex form as part of the field config, it looks from the screenshots you are using a site column, is this column existing on the site collection you are in or was it moved from another site/collection? 

It might be worth contacting Nintex Support for assistance. 

Jake

Yes the column is being passed from the parent site of the ASC site (subsite). That is why I am using 2 content types (One connected to the list in the parent site to pull data and one that has that is located in the subsite where it uses the previous content type as a parent).

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @DBlaNQ 

I could be mistaken but I believe lookup controls are site relative, I don’t think they are very friendly when moving between sites like this as the list must exist in the same site as the lookup control. 

Are you able to test if creating a new site column to test? if this doesn't allow you to select the list you need it is most likely not possible from a Sharepoint side unless you replicate/clone the lookup list.

Jake 

Badge +1

Hi @DBlaNQ 

I could be mistaken but I believe lookup controls are site relative, I don’t think they are very friendly when moving between sites like this as the list must exist in the same site as the lookup control. 

Are you able to test if creating a new site column to test? if this doesn't allow you to select the list you need it is most likely not possible from a Sharepoint side unless you replicate/clone the lookup list.

Jake 

I just did a small test while I was waiting for your reply. I created 2 Lists, one with data to load and one with the form. I created one content type that contains a new lookup column that loads data from the data list and I placed the content type in the list where the form is located.

Shift List with data
The list with the form and the content type added to this list. ASC Shifts is connected to the data list and should load data from Shift Name

The problem still remains the same even when the lists are under the same site.

These forms are already created and working under the old form designer and they load data like this successfully, only when trying to recreate them under the new designer does this happen. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @DBlaNQ 

I would definitely raise a support ticket to see if someone can assist you directly. 

Jake 

Badge +1

@Jake 

The Nintex support site redirected me to Nintex community that is why I wrote here 🙂. Can you please send me the support website or email since I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks and best regards

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @DBlaNQ 

You can raise support tickets via the customer portal https://customer.nintex.com/

Or alternatively by emailing support@nintex.com if you don’t have access to customer portal.

Jake