Skip to main content

I have a workflow that looks at a list within SharePoint, some of the columns required will not contain data.

How do a do a Run if from a look up list configuration when the column is blank?

Kind regards

Claire

Claire, I doubt if I understood you corectly.. What you want to achieve is to make a Run if a value from your lookup is empty?

Hello Tomasz,

Sorry Yes that it correct, apologise if I did not explain myself correctly.

Regards

Claire

Then you should do that this way:

Simply configure the lookup to your list and then check if the output "is empty".

Regards,

Tomasz

Hello Tomasz,

I don't have the option for is empty, I only have equals or not equals.

if I did the following;

not equals

Value

is empty

Would that work?

Regards

Claire

What is a type of the column(s) you would like to use in your rule?

And for the question: "Would that work" i'd say - run the workflow and check  Just to confirm - you don't have the options I'm showing in the screenshot posted above?

Regards,

Tomasz

For example you cannot check if DateTime variables are empty in Nintex Workflow (same for NW2013/2010). Just learned that yesterday and was a little confused

So you need a workaround for this. On a DateTime variable you can provide a default value and chose a specific date. Just take some date that will never occur in your list (something like 01.01.1900 should do). After querying the list you can check if your variable equals your default value. If it does, you know that the column was empty.

Regards

Philipp

Hello Tomasz,

The type of column is a person,

I will give the workflow ago, like you say, that's the only way I will know if it will work or not

I confirm that I don't have the drop down choices that you do, where you have equals, not equals, is empty etc, I only have equals and not equals.

Regards

Claire

Then in that case you do not have the "is empty" rule

Do the following then:

1. In the variables add new variable type "Person or Group" and leave it empty
  2. In the workflow do not "declare" it  (do not use set variable action) - that way it will remain "empty".
  3. In your "Run If" action compare the value from the lookup to your column with the value of the variable.

That works for me

Regards,

Tomasz

You can also, in this case, set your person column to a variable and then you will have the "is empty" option for evaluating the variable. Meaning set variable: personVar == yourPersonColumn then in your run if pick personVar and you will have the "is empty" option.