Solved

Nintex Forms - Input isn't stored when multiple Content Types

• 23 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

I have a Sharepoint List, that contains several Content Types, each with a corresponding Nintex Form. The process is that when Form 1 is submitted, Form 2 is activated => submitted, then Form 3 and so on.

All these forms are saved in their respective columns “Filled Form X”. 

In Form 1, I have some controls that are not connected to any sharepoint column - as I only want to store the information within the form and not in any columns (especially to prevent exceeding maximum size of the columns in a list).

When Form 1 is submitted and I go into the form - the input/ data provided to the different controls that are not connected to any column will still be there. 

BUT, when Form 2 is submitted - the information at Form 1 will be gone. 

I am using ‘New Responsive Designer’

Questions:

• Is there some way of prevent this leakage in information happening?
  • If I do not add a column to connect to the control, how will it be saved? - Maybe good to know this, so I can understand what the problem is to Question 1. 
icon

Best answer by SimonMuntz 26 November 2023, 22:13

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @oysteinbruce,

Unbound columns are stored in a hidden column called Form Data for SharePoint on-premise or NFFormData for O365.  It is a multi-lines of text column configured as plain text.  The data is stored in XML format. The column can be read by a workflow using the Query XML action.

Badge +3

Let’s say I have a workflow with the following procedures:

• Form 1 is used to add a new item
  • When Form 1 is submitted a workflow kicks off, and send a mail to some stakeholder to fill out Form 2 (connected to the same item)
  • Form 1 and Form 2 are two content types in the Sharepoint list. 
  • For simplicity: Form 1 and Form 2 are only containing Unbound columns

Question:

• When I go into Form 1 (the same instance NOT  a new) after Form 2 is submitted - why will all control-fields in Form 1 be gone?
    • It seems for me that it will only “store” the unbound columns in the last form submitted within the same item. I WANT to have all the unbound columns within all forms to stay filled. 

Hope this clarify the question I am asking. 

Badge +3

Hi @oysteinbruce,

Unbound columns are stored in a hidden column called Form Data for SharePoint on-premise or NFFormData for O365.  It is a multi-lines of text column configured as plain text.  The data is stored in XML format. The column can be read by a workflow using the Query XML action.

Where do I find this Form Data (hidden column), please provide some kind of procedure.

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @oysteinbruce,

There is only one hidden column for unbound columns, so yes, it gets updated with the unbound columns from the last form submitted for the item.

It would be best to create columns for each control to avoid this issue.

So that you know – the unbound column can be accessed via a workflow, as shown.

Badge +3

Thanks, do you know if it is possible to increase the capacity of number of columns in SharePoint lists, or are they fixed? (I know that different types of column take different amount of bytes, but is it possible to increase the total bytes)?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @oysteinbruce,

Your question is SharePoint-specific, so I cannot give you a definitive answer. From my experience, the number of allowable columns is a hard limit and cannot be changed. For a definitive answer, you should contact Microsoft.